Mic works now but it's giving me problems recording (Interface cannot record + play)

aclstudios

So my mic from my last thread did work (in most programs) thanks to all of your advice: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...c-behringer-um2-interface-mxl-440-mic-402462/

BUT

I can't actually use it to record.

I first tried it in FL Studio. (Oddly, when I open FL Studio, my interface mutes all other programs- so I need to close FL in order for audio outside of it to play. Not sure how to fix this.)

When I play the recording back, the latency is so bad though. I tried decreasing the buffer, and that makes it where the song can't play properly (even just a single drum sample keeping tempo will sound all glitchy and messed up. I guess my computer can't handle it?)

So I exported the instrumental to MP3 and tried Audacity. I can record in Audacity with no other tracks. But once I put other tracks in (like the MP3, or a click track), the moment I hit record: the program freezes up, gives me a general "something happened" error code, and shuts down.

Also noteworthy is I can record in Audacity if I set it not to play the other audio tracks while I record. But then... I can't record the vocals to my song. So that defeats the purpose.

(This may also have to do with why Discord calls weren't working, and still don't, but I gave up on that since nobody wants to talk to me anyway. I mean whoops...)

Basically, it seems my interface cannot properly receive and record audio at the same time. Which is why recording in Audacity with no other tracks (or other tracks set to not play during recording) still works, and why although Discord calls do not work, I can send individual voice messages in Telegram.

As for FL... as I said, I got it to work. But using the lowest buffer speed that plays it properly, it has so much latency. And yes, this is with using ASIO4ALL (as opposed to the kinda garbage ASIO that FL comes with).

What's going on here? :(

Do you have your speakers connected to the Uphoria?

If you are playing audio back through your computer's internal sound while recording through the interface that may account for the latency

Do you have your speakers connected to the Uphoria?

If you are playing audio back through your computer's internal sound while recording through the interface that may account for the latency
Yes, I'm using the headphones and they are plugged into the interface as well.

ER........... UMMMMmmmm ............................

Dont use FL studio?
Why not? It works for others. And as I said, I tried Audacity and it wouldn't even record at all with music playing.

You can try this . .

go to the Behringer website and find its downloads page, then download the latest ASIO drivers. While you may not like the FL ASIO drivers, I have a feeling ASIO4All may not be doing you any favours.

You can try this . .

go to the Behringer website and find its downloads page, then download the latest ASIO drivers. While you may not like the FL ASIO drivers, I have a feeling ASIO4All may not be doing you any favours.

Unfortunately for everybody using the UM2 and UMC22, Behringer doesn't offer drivers for these interfaces. They just link to ASIO4ALL to use as drivers for the UM2 and UMC22. So the OP is kinda stuck with ASIO4ALL. Actually, there are some legacy drivers that you can find that will perform better, but it's kinda hit or miss since they're not officially supported. Here's a reputable download link, under the first heading of "Behringer USB ASIO Drivers For Zenyx... Download Links – Recording Studio 9

The benefit to the FL ASIO drivers is that they're multi-client. So they can be shared across applications (like simultaneous playback from a DAW and YouTube, for instance). But their latency is unacceptable for recording music projects.

While I haven't used the UM2, I've used the UMC22 (same ASIO4ALL drivers) and it worked fine for simultaneous playback and recording. I had issues with setting the ASIO buffer lower than 256 samples, but it was juuuuuust passable for recording a multitrack audio project.

Unfortunately for everybody using the UM2 and UMC22, Behringer doesn't offer drivers for these interfaces. They just link to ASIO4ALL to use as drivers for the UM2 and UMC22. So the OP is kinda stuck with ASIO4ALL. Actually, there are some legacy drivers that you can find that will perform better, but it's kinda hit or miss since they're not officially supported. Here's a reputable download link, under the first heading of "Behringer USB ASIO Drivers For Zenyx... Download Links – Recording Studio 9

The benefit to the FL ASIO drivers is that they're multi-client. So they can be shared across applications (like simultaneous playback from a DAW and YouTube, for instance). But their latency is unacceptable for recording music projects.

While I haven't used the UM2, I've used the UMC22 (same ASIO4ALL drivers) and it worked fine for simultaneous playback and recording. I had issues with setting the ASIO buffer lower than 256 samples, but it was juuuuuust passable for recording a multitrack audio project.
Yeah honestly, Behringer doesn't provide much support at all. =\ I had a hard time finding anything about this topic even with Google searches.

As for the legacy drivers... the last thing I need is even more latency, lol. It's already bad as it is.

I can't turn mine down below the default setting of I think 480 smp. The constant clicks and glitches in the audio are just too much even at 410. Idk if I just have a bad computer, or a setting somewhere is messed up, or what. That's what causing me the problem.

And a bit of an aside, but FL's current version (20) automatically sets up monitoring, with no clear way to turn it off, which is extremely annoying and distracting when trying to record, especially when combined with the latency issues. I had to look at a bunch of YouTube videos on it by random people, and even then, it was a hit or miss if I actually succeeded in turning it off. Something that should be a simple click had to be made difficult.

But none of this explains my problems in other programs, such as Audacity.

Apparently it is not working for you.

Well I have no other options right now. Audacity ain't even working.

Tried it last night- it works! Very little if any noticeable latency for now. :)

I should probably try this one too, since the other one isn't free after 2 months.

Reaper gives you a trial period, after which you simply get a nag screen. You can still use it, uncrippled, as long as you like. But it is pretty cheap, so you might as well buy it and get rid of the nag screen.

Back