Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mic won't work on my PC (Behringer UM2 interface + MXL 440 mic)

Thanks

Mic won't work on my PC (Behringer UM2 interface + MXL 440 mic)

Sign in to disable this ad

DAW: FL Studio

(also use Audacity for simple voice recordings)

Equipment: this set- Behringer U-PHORIA UM2 Interface Kit with MXL 440 Microphone, Mic Stand, Headphones & More from B&H Photo and Video.

But the important parts are the mic, which is an MXL 440,
    and the interface, which is Behringer UM2.

I also use the headphones from the kid, plugged into the interface as well. They seem to work fine.

The mic does not. On any program or anything.

I tried turning the volumes all the way up, changing every setting, Google searching the problem, watching videos how to set it up.

Nothing seems to get it to work.

I'm a total jinx with tech stuff and it shows. But does anyone know why it may not be working? It's all brand new, so it should.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    Hi, and welcome to HR!

You didn't mention phantom power/+48V so, I guess, it's worth asking if that's turned on?
    The switch is round the back.

Also, can you confirm that you're using an XLR to XLR cable?
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi, and welcome to HR!

You didn't mention phantom power/+48V so, I guess, it's worth asking if that's turned on?
    The switch is round the back.

Also, can you confirm that you're using an XLR to XLR cable?
    Thank you!

Yes, I had the 48v switch turned on. The interface power turns on automatically if it's plugged into a computer that is on. Both power lights were on.

And yes I used that cable. It came with the set. (I can't post a link yet but you can Google the name)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    Ok, So far so good.
    So we have to figure out if the issue is in the hardware realm, or software.

The interface has a signal and clip LED so I'd plug in the microphone, turn on phantom power, turn up the gain, then tap the mic (gently) and watch those lights.

If nothing lights up then your mic/cable/interface is bad.
    If the lights are go, then the issue is in software territory.

Let us know.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Can you confirm that you downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL? Behringer uses that as its ASIO driver. Also, make sure you set your sound properties to use the interface for microphone as opposed to any internal mic from the computer, which might have been set up as a default by Win10.
    Also, check your devices in Audacity under preference/devices to make sure the UM2 is selected.
    Last edited by TalismanRich; 07-27-2019 at 15:50.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I ask again how you connected it to the PC and do you have the right drivers.
    Sure. But you can confirm whether the interface is getting signal prior to this step. If the interface is getting a signal ok, then investigating why the computer isn't is the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    Turn all the knobs and settigns to max to see if you get signal on your DAW. You can turn them down later if you do.
    This is a bit risky if the issue is a simple loose connection which suddenly comes good. YOu may not be able to turn out later if you have just sent a huge signal throughout the whole system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aclstudios View Post

DAW: FL Studio

(also use Audacity for simple voice recordings)

I also use the headphones from the kid, plugged into the interface as well. They seem to work fine.

The mic does not. On any program or anything.

I tried turning the volumes all the way up, changing every setting, Google searching the problem, watching videos how to set it up.

Nothing seems to get it to work.

I'm a total jinx with tech stuff and it shows. But does anyone know why it may not be working? It's all brand new, so it should.
    - Are you hearing audio played from FL Studio or Audacity through the UM2 in the headphones or were you just stating you know the headphones work?

- Since you're using Win10, check the setting for 'Windows 10 camera, microphone, and privacy'. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ne-and-privacy
    It may or may not be the cause of the mic not working, but something easy to try.

- If by chance you have a 1/4"(6.5mm) instrument or patch cable, plug it into either the #1 Line input in the combo jack or the #2 INST input. While touching your finger to the tip of the plug on the loose end of the cable, turn the gain up on the plugged in channel and watch to see if the SIG Led turns green to indicate a signal and listen in the headphones for hum. This will check to see if audio is getting into the interface. You could also try to record this hum to check the USB connection to the computer and the software.

- Audacity can not use ASIO, but the interface will show up in the options for input and output device if the interface is connecting OK.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Hey guys! Sorry for the delay, had work. Thanks again for taking time to help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    The interface has a signal and clip LED so I'd plug in the microphone, turn on phantom power, turn up the gain, then tap the mic (gently) and watch those lights.

If nothing lights up then your mic/cable/interface is bad.
    If the lights are go, then the issue is in software territory.

Let us know.
    The signal light blips for a quick second when I tap. But like, every other or third tap. So it's getting something I guess. Tbh idk what these lights even signify, I'm a total news to this. I was just told this was the best way to get somewhat decent quality sound recording.

Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    Can you confirm that you downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL? Behringer uses that as its ASIO driver. Also, make sure you set your sound properties to use the interface for microphone as opposed to any internal mic from the computer, which might have been set up as a default by Win10.
    Also, check your devices in Audacity under preference/devices to make sure the UM2 is selected.
    I did download and install it (although I already had it installed, not the latest version I guess). But it didn't make a difference.

So I saw a YouTube tutorial linking to download of something else. (Search Behringer UM2 Setup Driver on Windows 10 [Step by Step] uploaded by user Simple Green Tech. I think I still can't post links on here yet). Still didn't work.

Should I try going back to the basic ASIO? For that one, the devices in the interface (headphones and mic) were listed under "USB Codec" or something like that. After trying the driver from the video link, it's now listed as "Behringer USB WDM Audio" for some reason.

I set it to the default in Windows and other programs as well but again, no difference seemingly made. =\

Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    - Are you hearing audio played from FL Studio or Audacity through the UM2 in the headphones or were you just stating you know the headphones work?

- Since you're using Win10, check the setting for 'Windows 10 camera, microphone, and privacy'.
    It may or may not be the cause of the mic not working, but something easy to try.

- If by chance you have a 1/4"(6.5mm) instrument or patch cable, plug it into either the #1 Line input in the combo jack or the #2 INST input. While touching your finger to the tip of the plug on the loose end of the cable, turn the gain up on the plugged in channel and watch to see if the SIG Led turns green to indicate a signal and listen in the headphones for hum. This will check to see if audio is getting into the interface. You could also try to record this hum to check the USB connection to the computer and the software.

- Audacity can not use ASIO, but the interface will show up in the options for input and output device if the interface is connecting OK.
    I just tried both and I hear audio from both programs in the headset.

Checked the privacy, everything is allowed access to the mic.

I do not have a 6.5mm cable. =( Only the one on the headphones (which is just a 3.5mm with a 6.5mm adapter thingy on it tbh).

Also, I noticed that every time I go to play audio, after not playing any for a few minutes, the headphones make a clicking sound, as if turning on? Idk why that is.

I'm starting to think this is a hardware problem although I desperately hope it isn't because I can't afford to keep buying stuff. :'(

Thanks
    i doubt it is the hardware.

Do you have direct monitor in? Be sure it is pushed in.

Plug the unit into your computer
    Turn on the 48v power
    Speak normally into the mic from about 6 inches from your mouth.
    Turn the Mic/Line Gain 1 knob until the green Signal LED stays solid.
    If the red Clip LED lights up, back off the gain knob, until it doesn't.
    Plug in your headphones, speak into the mic again, turn the Output knob up until you hear something.

If that all works, then the problem is most likely in software, connections, drivers, etc.

Thanks
    Make sure your USB port is supplying enough power. I have the same interface and on my laptop cannot use Phantom Power from that interface because it gets the power from USB and my laptop doesn't supply enough power for the interface and it's Phantom Power. You may need to try a powered USB hub seeing that the interface doesn't have it's own power supply, you're relying on the USB port alone for your power.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ujn Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thread Information