Mic won't work on my PC (Behringer UM2 interface + MXL 440 mic)

aclstudios

DAW: FL Studio

(also use Audacity for simple voice recordings)

Equipment: this set- Behringer U-PHORIA UM2 Interface Kit with MXL 440 Microphone, Mic Stand, Headphones & More from B&H Photo and Video.

But the important parts are the mic, which is an MXL 440,
and the interface, which is Behringer UM2.

I also use the headphones from the kid, plugged into the interface as well. They seem to work fine.

The mic does not. On any program or anything.

I tried turning the volumes all the way up, changing every setting, Google searching the problem, watching videos how to set it up.

Nothing seems to get it to work.

I'm a total jinx with tech stuff and it shows. But does anyone know why it may not be working? It's all brand new, so it should.

Hi, and welcome to HR!

You didn't mention phantom power/+48V so, I guess, it's worth asking if that's turned on?
The switch is round the back.

Also, can you confirm that you're using an XLR to XLR cable?

Hi, and welcome to HR!

You didn't mention phantom power/+48V so, I guess, it's worth asking if that's turned on?

Thank you!

Yes, I had the 48v switch turned on. The interface power turns on automatically if it's plugged into a computer that is on. Both power lights were on.

And yes I used that cable. It came with the set. (I can't post a link yet but you can Google the name)

Ok, So far so good.
So we have to figure out if the issue is in the hardware realm, or software.

The interface has a signal and clip LED so I'd plug in the microphone, turn on phantom power, turn up the gain, then tap the mic (gently) and watch those lights.

If nothing lights up then your mic/cable/interface is bad.
If the lights are go, then the issue is in software territory.

Let us know. :)

Can you confirm that you downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL? Behringer uses that as its ASIO driver. Also, make sure you set your sound properties to use the interface for microphone as opposed to any internal mic from the computer, which might have been set up as a default by Win10.
Also, check your devices in Audacity under preference/devices to make sure the UM2 is selected.

Last edited:
I ask again how you connected it to the PC and do you have the right drivers.

Sure. But you can confirm whether the interface is getting signal prior to this step. If the interface is getting a signal ok, then investigating why the computer isn't is the next step.

Turn all the knobs and settigns to max to see if you get signal on your DAW. You can turn them down later if you do.

This is a bit risky if the issue is a simple loose connection which suddenly comes good. YOu may not be able to turn out later if you have just sent a huge signal throughout the whole system.

DAW: FL Studio

(also use Audacity for simple voice recordings)

I also use the headphones from the kid, plugged into the interface as well. They seem to work fine.

The mic does not. On any program or anything.

I tried turning the volumes all the way up, changing every setting, Google searching the problem, watching videos how to set it up.

Nothing seems to get it to work.

I'm a total jinx with tech stuff and it shows. But does anyone know why it may not be working? It's all brand new, so it should.
- Are you hearing audio played from FL Studio or Audacity through the UM2 in the headphones or were you just stating you know the headphones work?

- Since you're using Win10, check the setting for 'Windows 10 camera, microphone, and privacy'. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468232/windows-10-camera-microphone-and-privacy
It may or may not be the cause of the mic not working, but something easy to try.

- If by chance you have a 1/4"(6.5mm) instrument or patch cable, plug it into either the #1 Line input in the combo jack or the #2 INST input. While touching your finger to the tip of the plug on the loose end of the cable, turn the gain up on the plugged in channel and watch to see if the SIG Led turns green to indicate a signal and listen in the headphones for hum. This will check to see if audio is getting into the interface. You could also try to record this hum to check the USB connection to the computer and the software.

- Audacity can not use ASIO, but the interface will show up in the options for input and output device if the interface is connecting OK.

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay, had work. Thanks again for taking time to help me!

The interface has a signal and clip LED so I'd plug in the microphone, turn on phantom power, turn up the gain, then tap the mic (gently) and watch those lights.

If nothing lights up then your mic/cable/interface is bad.
If the lights are go, then the issue is in software territory.

Let us know. :)
The signal light blips for a quick second when I tap. But like, every other or third tap. So it's getting something I guess. Tbh idk what these lights even signify, I'm a total news to this. I was just told this was the best way to get somewhat decent quality sound recording.

Can you confirm that you downloaded and installed ASIO4ALL? Behringer uses that as its ASIO driver. Also, make sure you set your sound properties to use the interface for microphone as opposed to any internal mic from the computer, which might have been set up as a default by Win10.
Also, check your devices in Audacity under preference/devices to make sure the UM2 is selected.
I did download and install it (although I already had it installed, not the latest version I guess). But it didn't make a difference.

So I saw a YouTube tutorial linking to download of something else. (Search Behringer UM2 Setup Driver on Windows 10 [Step by Step] uploaded by user Simple Green Tech. I think I still can't post links on here yet). Still didn't work.

Should I try going back to the basic ASIO? For that one, the devices in the interface (headphones and mic) were listed under "USB Codec" or something like that. After trying the driver from the video link, it's now listed as "Behringer USB WDM Audio" for some reason.

I set it to the default in Windows and other programs as well but again, no difference seemingly made. =\

- Are you hearing audio played from FL Studio or Audacity through the UM2 in the headphones or were you just stating you know the headphones work?

- Since you're using Win10, check the setting for 'Windows 10 camera, microphone, and privacy'.
It may or may not be the cause of the mic not working, but something easy to try.

- If by chance you have a 1/4"(6.5mm) instrument or patch cable, plug it into either the #1 Line input in the combo jack or the #2 INST input. While touching your finger to the tip of the plug on the loose end of the cable, turn the gain up on the plugged in channel and watch to see if the SIG Led turns green to indicate a signal and listen in the headphones for hum. This will check to see if audio is getting into the interface. You could also try to record this hum to check the USB connection to the computer and the software.

- Audacity can not use ASIO, but the interface will show up in the options for input and output device if the interface is connecting OK.

I just tried both and I hear audio from both programs in the headset.

Checked the privacy, everything is allowed access to the mic.

I do not have a 6.5mm cable. =( Only the one on the headphones (which is just a 3.5mm with a 6.5mm adapter thingy on it tbh).

Also, I noticed that every time I go to play audio, after not playing any for a few minutes, the headphones make a clicking sound, as if turning on? Idk why that is.

I'm starting to think this is a hardware problem although I desperately hope it isn't because I can't afford to keep buying stuff. :'(

i doubt it is the hardware.

Do you have direct monitor in? Be sure it is pushed in.

Plug the unit into your computer
Turn on the 48v power
Speak normally into the mic from about 6 inches from your mouth.
Turn the Mic/Line Gain 1 knob until the green Signal LED stays solid.
If the red Clip LED lights up, back off the gain knob, until it doesn't.
Plug in your headphones, speak into the mic again, turn the Output knob up until you hear something.

If that all works, then the problem is most likely in software, connections, drivers, etc.

Make sure your USB port is supplying enough power. I have the same interface and on my laptop cannot use Phantom Power from that interface because it gets the power from USB and my laptop doesn't supply enough power for the interface and it's Phantom Power. You may need to try a powered USB hub seeing that the interface doesn't have it's own power supply, you're relying on the USB port alone for your power.

i doubt it is the hardware.

Do you have direct monitor in? Be sure it is pushed in.

Plug the unit into your computer
Turn on the 48v power
Speak normally into the mic from about 6 inches from your mouth.
Turn the Mic/Line Gain 1 knob until the green Signal LED stays solid.
If the red Clip LED lights up, back off the gain knob, until it doesn't.
Plug in your headphones, speak into the mic again, turn the Output knob up until you hear something.

If that all works, then the problem is most likely in software, connections, drivers, etc.

Ok so it does work after all... I had to just turn the gain up almost all the way! Sitting fairly close to it too, moved as far from noise as I can for now (pop filter between me and the mic though). And it's still not very loud at all. =\ But it does work.

It gives me issues on some programs though- namely chat programs like Discord and Telegram. Obviously I didn't buy it for those, but I use voice chat on them often and I'd hate having to switch my mics out constantly just for that.

Also, another small problem- my headphones make a loud click whenever I change programs. I'm not sure why.

Can't believe it was as simple as not having the gain turned up enough. But even then, the quality sounds... not great. But I know my mic is considered low-end so I guess I over-expected.

Thanks to everyone who helped me!

I think that something is off here. The MXL 440 should put out a decently strong signal. And while the Xenyx preamp on the UM2 isn't exactly great, it should be more than capable of amplifying the mic input signal to a respectable strength without having to totally crank the input gain.

I suspect a defect with either the mic or the interface. The best way to know if it's a defective component is to be able to test with other similar components. If you've got a friend that has a mic, cable, or interface, I'd try to swap something out and see how it works.

It still sounds like there may be an issue with the phantom power being either low or nonexistent. USB power out of some computers can struggle to keep up if you have several devices plugged in. (mouse, keyboards, memory sticks). A condenser mic with insufficient phantom power will produce a very low signal.

As Ujn Hunter mentioned, try a powered USB hub.

Ok so it does work after all... I had to just turn the gain up almost all the way! Sitting fairly close to it too, moved as far from noise as I can for now (pop filter between me and the mic though). And it's still not very loud at all. =\ But it does work.

Also, another small problem- my headphones make a loud click whenever I change programs. I'm not sure why.

Can't believe it was as simple as not having the gain turned up enough. But even then, the quality sounds... not great. But I know my mic is considered low-end so I guess I over-expected.

Thanks to everyone who helped me!

Sitting close is how close? For speaking you may want to be around 8"(20cm) to 12"(30cm) and be talking directly into the grill on the side of the mic with the MXL logo. The mic has a sensitivity spec of 15mv/PA which is about middle of the road for condenser mics and should give an OK signal into your interface. With the distance I suggested and a normal speaking voice I would guess the gain knob might be about 12 to 2 o'clock to get the UM2's green signal LED to flicker on peaks of your voice depending on distance. Don't be shy about getting up a bit closer and being closer can reduce room noise and depending on the mic can yield a more 'radio' like voice (bassy) due to proximity effect.
The MXL 440 needs 48 +/- 4 vdc. The MXL 440 manual states the current draw is < 3.0ma which the UM2 'shouldn't' have a hard time supplying.

I do have a Behringer UMC404HD and a few mics that are around 15mv sensitivity. If I get a chance sometime today I may try hooking things up to get an idea of where the gain might be to get a decent signal into Audacity or Reaper.

MXL 440 | RecordingHacks.com

Make sure your USB port is supplying enough power. I have the same interface and on my laptop cannot use Phantom Power from that interface because it gets the power from USB and my laptop doesn't supply enough power for the interface and it's Phantom Power. You may need to try a powered USB hub seeing that the interface doesn't have it's own power supply, you're relying on the USB port alone for your power.

It still sounds like there may be an issue with the phantom power being either low or nonexistent. USB power out of some computers can struggle to keep up if you have several devices plugged in. (mouse, keyboards, memory sticks). A condenser mic with insufficient phantom power will produce a very low signal.

As Ujn Hunter mentioned, try a powered USB hub.
Just to try it out, I plugged it into a powered hub that I had lying around but wasn't using. Not sure if it made a difference.

While searching for answers, I found a reply saying that the loud click noise that happens whenever starting or switching to another program (one that uses audio equipment, anyway, including headphones) may be the interface shutting on and off. Or it shuts off to conserve power, and back on when going into one of those programs, if no audio has been used for like 5 or so minutes. It also said to solve it by shutting off unneeded audio devices in device manager. That worked at first, but then next time I turned on my PC, back to clicks- even with unneeded devices still off.

The powered hub so far has not seemed to solve that. But it's only a minor problem.

I think that something is off here. The MXL 440 should put out a decently strong signal. And while the Xenyx preamp on the UM2 isn't exactly great, it should be more than capable of amplifying the mic input signal to a respectable strength without having to totally crank the input gain.

I suspect a defect with either the mic or the interface. The best way to know if it's a defective component is to be able to test with other similar components. If you've got a friend that has a mic, cable, or interface, I'd try to swap something out and see how it works.
I do have a friend with audio equipment. He lives kinda far but I'll go to his place this weekend with my stuff to see if it works for him. He's been helping me via chat and so far he can't do much when not in person.

Sitting close is how close? For speaking you may want to be around 8"(20cm) to 12"(30cm) and be talking directly into the grill on the side of the mic with the MXL logo. The mic has a sensitivity spec of 15mv/PA which is about middle of the road for condenser mics and should give an OK signal into your interface. With the distance I suggested and a normal speaking voice I would guess the gain knob might be about 12 to 2 o'clock to get the UM2's green signal LED to flicker on peaks of your voice depending on distance. Don't be shy about getting up a bit closer and being closer can reduce room noise and depending on the mic can yield a more 'radio' like voice (bassy) due to proximity effect.
The MXL 440 needs 48 +/- 4 vdc. The MXL 440 manual states the current draw is < 3.0ma which the UM2 'shouldn't' have a hard time supplying.

I do have a Behringer UMC404HD and a few mics that are around 15mv sensitivity. If I get a chance sometime today I may try hooking things up to get an idea of where the gain might be to get a decent signal into Audacity or Reaper.
Your suggestions seemed to have fixed the volume problem (when the mic decides to work, anyway). =)

Also a few more things I just noticed today:

1. Sometimes I'll turn on my PC, everything plugged in as it was when I last shut it off, and the mic won't work on anything. The interface signal lights up as normal, but my PC won't read it. Then I boot up FL Studio. This starts the ASIO codec, and it begins working (on other programs as well). Is there a way to get ASIO to start when I boot up my PC?

2. It will not work on Discord. This program seems to give everybody trouble. But the odd thing is, it works in the mic test in Settings! If I click Let's Check in the Voice & Video tab of Settings, I hear the loud click, it turns on, and shows my mic working. Then I get a call (or make one), and hear the click again, and mic shuts off (for Discord, anyway). I cannot figure out why this happens.

The irony here that my cheap 3.5mm mic and headset worked perfectly fine on everything, yet all this stuff is giving me headaches of trouble and causing me to spend all my free time trying to solve this. I just wanna give up at this point. I'm not going through all of this every time I turn on my PC. I just want one mic I can use for everything.

2. It will not work on Discord. This program seems to give everybody trouble. But the odd thing is, it works in the mic test in Settings! If I click Let's Check in the Voice & Video tab of Settings, I hear the loud click, it turns on, and shows my mic working. Then I get a call (or make one), and hear the click again, and mic shuts off (for Discord, anyway). I cannot figure out why this happens.

For the discord issues, try User Settings/Voice and Video/Audio Subsystem/Experimental.
Obviously you've got other issues to solve but, as you say, Discord's got issues of its own. ;)

Hi, and welcome to HR!

Hi! I'm having difficulty getting the signal from my microphone in to Logic Pro. I'm using a Behringer UMC22. I can see the signal getting in to the the sound card (UMC22), but the signal is not getting in to Logic. I made sure in the audio settings that the UMC22 Is chosen as input/output. then I press the record button but the signal doesn't appear...?
What am I missing....?
Thankful for help,Deeno.

Hi! I'm having difficulty getting the signal from my microphone in to Logic Pro. I'm using a Behringer UMC22. I can see the signal getting in to the the sound card (UMC22), but the signal is not getting in to Logic. I made sure in the audio settings that the UMC22 Is chosen as input/output. then I press the record button but the signal doesn't appear...?
What am I missing....?
Have you checked 'Input Monitoring’? It’s the ‘I’ on the channel strip.

Attachments

• Logic.png
    Logic.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 2
Back