Mic with least feedback for online music lessons

gongli

I give music lessons online and want to upgrade the sound to include an external mic with an interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2). Which mic has least feedback? I don't mind dynamic one - how about the Shure 57 or 58? Should I get a shotgun mic instead? Which brand?

Thank you in advance for helping a newby out...

Any mic will result in feedback if you give it too much gain and it is picking up sounds from speakers to which it is connected.

You should be able to conduct your online lessons without having your own speakers on, and that would get rid of the potential for feedback.

Any mic will result in feedback if you give it too much gain and it is picking up sounds from speakers to which it is connected.

You should be able to conduct your online lessons without having your own speakers on, and that would get rid of the potential for feedback.

Thank you for that...then how do I hear my student with speakers off?

Man, I gotta say it. Video voice lessons? Students need a personal connection. To hear an example through speakers would be less than ideal? The guy from Babylon gave me lessons..There are lots of deceptive things happening as you sing. To be in the room is important.

Back in the 80's a music equipment store had a flat on the second floor. Some apartments that they used for giving kids lessons. They had studio that was always booked. They dealt cocaine and other drugs out the place. Constantly booking phantom hours to be paid. So they always had people parting there, I dont think they ever recorded much. They had to account for all the cash from coke trans acts. They attracted too much attention with the fancy cars and lifestyle. The whole experience was something because you met all the different people.

Last edited:
LBS - online lessons are the way of things right now, and will be for some time to come. Your story has no bearing to the OP's question.

Assuming the OP is using Zoom, there are many Zoom settings to optimize your sound. Close-miking with an SM58, keeping the speaker volume low works for vocals, not so good with acoustic guitar or keys, though, unless you mute the speakers/use headphones when you play.

You are trying to reproduce what instrument is going through a microphone over a video connection. It seems to me that, it would be very challenging that way. unless its a classroom where everybody has the exact same equipment.

When i took lessons I would play the equipment he used on the CD. Then match techniques on same equipment.

+1. You should wear headphones for voice calls and that kind of thing.
If you find it difficult speaking, or singing, whilst wearing headphones, try sliding one cup back a little so it's behind your ear.
If it's earbuds, try just taking one of them out completely.

That way one ear hears the students clearly and the other lets you hear yourself properly when singing/speaking.

Might sound unusual but it's very common.

Back