Mic doesn't fit mic stand?

In what way doesn't it fit...is the mic stand mount too big or too small for the microphone?
Is that a standard mic stand?

My SM7B fits perfectly on my stands.
Are you trying to screw it on by turning the whole mic...or are you just turning the ring on the mic?
If you try screwing it on by turning the mic, it seems like it doesn't fit....so you have to hold the mic to the stand...hold it level...then turn the screw ring at the base of the microphone until it catches the threads on the stand.

Oh...keep your foot on the base of the stand...the mic is heavy, it will tip most stands if not properly positioned.

I can't see the top of your stand clearly in your picture. Does it have threads like shown below? The 'collar' on the SM7b turns and should thread onto your stand until tight. Be careful not to 'cross thread' when starting it.

Attachments

• sm7b threads.jpg
    sm7b threads.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 14
In what way doesn't it fit...is the mic stand mount too big or too small for the microphone?
Is that a standard mic stand?

My SM7B fits perfectly on my stands.
Are you trying to screw it on by turning the whole mic...or are you just turning the ring on the mic?
If you try screwing it on by turning the mic, it seems like it doesn't fit....so you have to hold the mic to the stand...hold it level...then turn the screw ring at the base of the microphone until it catches the threads on the stand.

Oh...keep your foot on the base of the stand...the mic is heavy, it will tip most stands if not properly positioned.

Thank you for the answer.

Stand is too wide for the mic, I think. I'm doing it like you said. The ring turns maybe one turn then it's impossible to turn it. It doesn't feel right or stable. Should ring supposed to go all the way down?

And, when you screw it to stand, does the mic move and wiggle?

I can't see the top of your stand clearly in your picture. Does it have threads like shown below? The 'collar' on the SM7b turns and should thread onto your stand until tight. Be careful not to 'cross thread' when starting it.

Yes I think it has Imgur: The magic of the Internet

It just doesn't fit. If I really force it i can turn the think about 2 times. It stays on it but doesn't feel secure at all. Maybe I should try it with a new mic stand.

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Thank you for the answer.

Stand is too wide for the mic, I think. I'm doing it like you said. The ring turns maybe one turn then it's impossible to turn it. It doesn't feel right or stable. Should ring supposed to go all the way down?

And, when you screw it to stand, does the mic move and wiggle?

Yes, the ring should turn multiple times and go all the way down. The mic will be wobbly until the ring is tightened right down.
I guess either your stand threading is an unusual size or you're cross-threading it by mistake.

Do you have other generic microphone clips? Do they fit on this stand?

Yes, the ring should turn multiple times and go all the way down. The mic will be wobbly until the ring is tightened right down.
I guess either your stand threading is an unusual size or you're cross-threading it by mistake.

Do you have other generic microphone clips? Do they fit on this stand?

I have a mic clip that came with the stand itself. It fits comfortably. I tried it a lot of times. I'm not sure how would I do it wrong. :(

I need a new one probably.

I have a mic clip that came with the stand itself. It fits comfortably. I tried it a lot of times. I'm not sure how would I do it wrong. :(

I need a new one probably.

Strange.
The 7b is sort of awkward and very easy to cross thread but it shouldn't be that hard.

I tend to turn the collar the wrong way until I hear a faint click, the threads lining up, then start turning the right way.
Not sure how helpful that is; It's a little habit I've picked up.

Strange.
The 7b is sort of awkward and very easy to cross thread but it shouldn't be that hard.

I tend to turn the collar the wrong way until I hear a faint click, the threads lining up, then start turning the right way.
Not sure how helpful that is; It's a little habit I've picked up.

Here's one to add; When the item is bulky and difficult to manage, spin the other piece -in this case 'the tube/male end.
So much easier to 'feel when it's going right, or more importantly for the threads.. wrong.

Some mic holders/clips come with an insert for smaller shafts that must be removed for the standard mic stand. Check your mic clip for a chrome plated insert with a slot for a screwdriver. If it has one they just unscrew with a standard flat blade screwdriver and you should be good to go. I have run into this several times and it always messes with my head until I look in the mic clip and see the insert.

phy61,

Can you tell if the threaded part where the mic mounts is plastic/nylon or metal? From the picture it kind of looks like plastic with some shavings coming off. Would you have a link to the stand where you bought it?

If a standard mic clip threads/screws onto the stand with the right fit...then so will the SM7B.
So I think it's either how it's being put on, and not catching the threads...or the mic clip and stand are not standard, and so the SM7B is not going to fit.
I mean...this stuff is pretty everyday kind of standard fitting...without a lot of mystery (most stands/clips are the same size).
Of course, if the stand end is plastic and/or with stripped threads...that's another issue.

Just need a special mic stand hammer.

Just kidding, others have given legit answers. Just thought I'd throw the hammer into it. ;)

My 7b fits exactly the same as all my other mics. Pretty well now the only threads are going to be the usual two sizes and the standard adaptors. Something has gone wrong here. My guess? Mic stand with slightly mangled thread.

phy61,

Can you tell if the threaded part where the mic mounts is plastic/nylon or metal? From the picture it kind of looks like plastic with some shavings coming off. Would you have a link to the stand where you bought it?

Yes it's plastic, not metal. And I think I damaged it a little bit while trying to force it. But still the other mic clip fits right. I don't really remember where I bought it. :(

Maybe it's a country thing, I don't live in USA

Some mic holders/clips come with an insert for smaller shafts that must be removed for the standard mic stand. Check your mic clip for a chrome plated insert with a slot for a screwdriver. If it has one they just unscrew with a standard flat blade screwdriver and you should be good to go. I have run into this several times and it always messes with my head until I look in the mic clip and see the insert.

Thanks. I've looked into the mic clip. It's just black plastic just like the stand. :(

Yes it's plastic, not metal. And I think I damaged it a little bit while trying to force it. But still the other mic clip fits right. I don't really remember where I bought it. :(

Maybe it's a country thing, I don't live in USA

I can't say I've seen a stand mount which has a plastic mic mounting thread, just mostly metal with machine cut threads. I'm guessing what you have is a somewhat 'budget' stand that may have not cost too much. The SM7b is neither lightweight nor a cheap mic and I don't think I would want to take the risk of mounting on a stand which may be of questionable quality. Might be time to upgrade the mic stand to one of better quality. Is this a floor (/with boom), desk, or other type of stand? I n Europe I've seen Thomann as a reputable retailer if that's where you are. If you see a stand you like in your budget check back here for opinions.

Thanks. I've looked into the mic clip. It's just black plastic just like the stand.
Mics clips for a lot of handheld mics will be plastic and most of mine are, just not the threaded part of the stand.

The inserts Gtoboy mentioned will look like either of these to fit a 3/8" SAE thread. They can be removed with a coin that fits in the slot.

Attachments

• insert 2.jpg
    insert 2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 5
  • insert 1.jpg
    insert 1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 3
The inserts Gtoboy mentioned will look like either of these to fit a 3/8" SAE thread. They can be removed with a coin that fits in the slot.

It's a floor stand and yes, a cheap one. I will buy a a better one, I need it anyway.

Thank you very much

Back