Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mic doesn't fit mic stand?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Some mic holders/clips come with an insert for smaller shafts that must be removed for the standard mic stand. Check your mic clip for a chrome plated insert with a slot for a screwdriver. If it has one they just unscrew with a standard flat blade screwdriver and you should be good to go. I have run into this several times and it always messes with my head until I look in the mic clip and see the insert.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    phy61,

Can you tell if the threaded part where the mic mounts is plastic/nylon or metal? From the picture it kind of looks like plastic with some shavings coming off. Would you have a link to the stand where you bought it?
    Mark.......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If a standard mic clip threads/screws onto the stand with the right fit...then so will the SM7B.
    So I think it's either how it's being put on, and not catching the threads...or the mic clip and stand are not standard, and so the SM7B is not going to fit.
    I mean...this stuff is pretty everyday kind of standard fitting...without a lot of mystery (most stands/clips are the same size).
    Of course, if the stand end is plastic and/or with stripped threads...that's another issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just need a special mic stand hammer.

Just kidding, others have given legit answers. Just thought I'd throw the hammer into it.

Thanks
    My 7b fits exactly the same as all my other mics. Pretty well now the only threads are going to be the usual two sizes and the standard adaptors. Something has gone wrong here. My guess? Mic stand with slightly mangled thread.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    phy61,

Can you tell if the threaded part where the mic mounts is plastic/nylon or metal? From the picture it kind of looks like plastic with some shavings coming off. Would you have a link to the stand where you bought it?
    Yes it's plastic, not metal. And I think I damaged it a little bit while trying to force it. But still the other mic clip fits right. I don't really remember where I bought it.

Maybe it's a country thing, I don't live in USA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Some mic holders/clips come with an insert for smaller shafts that must be removed for the standard mic stand. Check your mic clip for a chrome plated insert with a slot for a screwdriver. If it has one they just unscrew with a standard flat blade screwdriver and you should be good to go. I have run into this several times and it always messes with my head until I look in the mic clip and see the insert.
    Thanks. I've looked into the mic clip. It's just black plastic just like the stand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phy61 View Post
    Yes it's plastic, not metal. And I think I damaged it a little bit while trying to force it. But still the other mic clip fits right. I don't really remember where I bought it.

Maybe it's a country thing, I don't live in USA
    I can't say I've seen a stand mount which has a plastic mic mounting thread, just mostly metal with machine cut threads. I'm guessing what you have is a somewhat 'budget' stand that may have not cost too much. The SM7b is neither lightweight nor a cheap mic and I don't think I would want to take the risk of mounting on a stand which may be of questionable quality. Might be time to upgrade the mic stand to one of better quality. Is this a floor (/with boom), desk, or other type of stand? I n Europe I've seen Thomann as a reputable retailer if that's where you are. If you see a stand you like in your budget check back here for opinions.

Thanks. I've looked into the mic clip. It's just black plastic just like the stand.
    Mics clips for a lot of handheld mics will be plastic and most of mine are, just not the threaded part of the stand.
    Mark.......

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The inserts Gtoboy mentioned will look like either of these to fit a 3/8" SAE thread. They can be removed with a coin that fits in the slot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails insert-2-jpg   insert-1-jpg  
    Mark.......

15. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    The inserts Gtoboy mentioned will look like either of these to fit a 3/8" SAE thread. They can be removed with a coin that fits in the slot.
    It's a floor stand and yes, a cheap one. I will buy a a better one, I need it anyway.

Thank you very much

Thread Information