Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Mic doesn't fit mic stand?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    HOUSTON, TEXAS
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 147 Times in 131 Posts
    Rep Power
    798998
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Some mic holders/clips come with an insert for smaller shafts that must be removed for the standard mic stand. Check your mic clip for a chrome plated insert with a slot for a screwdriver. If it has one they just unscrew with a standard flat blade screwdriver and you should be good to go. I have run into this several times and it always messes with my head until I look in the mic clip and see the insert.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:


  3. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,528
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 230 Times in 211 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    phy61,

    Can you tell if the threaded part where the mic mounts is plastic/nylon or metal? From the picture it kind of looks like plastic with some shavings coming off. Would you have a link to the stand where you bought it?
    Mark.......

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:


  5. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    18,694
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked 868 Times in 757 Posts
    Rep Power
    21470743
    If a standard mic clip threads/screws onto the stand with the right fit...then so will the SM7B.
    So I think it's either how it's being put on, and not catching the threads...or the mic clip and stand are not standard, and so the SM7B is not going to fit.
    I mean...this stuff is pretty everyday kind of standard fitting...without a lot of mystery (most stands/clips are the same size).
    Of course, if the stand end is plastic and/or with stripped threads...that's another issue.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:


  7. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    4,340
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 552 Times in 497 Posts
    Rep Power
    8012023
    Just need a special mic stand hammer.

    Just kidding, others have given legit answers. Just thought I'd throw the hammer into it.

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 405 Times in 370 Posts
    Rep Power
    4008612
    My 7b fits exactly the same as all my other mics. Pretty well now the only threads are going to be the usual two sizes and the standard adaptors. Something has gone wrong here. My guess? Mic stand with slightly mangled thread.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:


  10. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    phy61,

    Can you tell if the threaded part where the mic mounts is plastic/nylon or metal? From the picture it kind of looks like plastic with some shavings coming off. Would you have a link to the stand where you bought it?
    Yes it's plastic, not metal. And I think I damaged it a little bit while trying to force it. But still the other mic clip fits right. I don't really remember where I bought it.

    Maybe it's a country thing, I don't live in USA

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Some mic holders/clips come with an insert for smaller shafts that must be removed for the standard mic stand. Check your mic clip for a chrome plated insert with a slot for a screwdriver. If it has one they just unscrew with a standard flat blade screwdriver and you should be good to go. I have run into this several times and it always messes with my head until I look in the mic clip and see the insert.
    Thanks. I've looked into the mic clip. It's just black plastic just like the stand.

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,528
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 230 Times in 211 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    Quote Originally Posted by phy61 View Post
    Yes it's plastic, not metal. And I think I damaged it a little bit while trying to force it. But still the other mic clip fits right. I don't really remember where I bought it.

    Maybe it's a country thing, I don't live in USA
    I can't say I've seen a stand mount which has a plastic mic mounting thread, just mostly metal with machine cut threads. I'm guessing what you have is a somewhat 'budget' stand that may have not cost too much. The SM7b is neither lightweight nor a cheap mic and I don't think I would want to take the risk of mounting on a stand which may be of questionable quality. Might be time to upgrade the mic stand to one of better quality. Is this a floor (/with boom), desk, or other type of stand? I n Europe I've seen Thomann as a reputable retailer if that's where you are. If you see a stand you like in your budget check back here for opinions.

    Thanks. I've looked into the mic clip. It's just black plastic just like the stand.
    Mics clips for a lot of handheld mics will be plastic and most of mine are, just not the threaded part of the stand.
    Mark.......

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:


  14. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,528
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 230 Times in 211 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    The inserts Gtoboy mentioned will look like either of these to fit a 3/8" SAE thread. They can be removed with a coin that fits in the slot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails insert-2-jpg   insert-1-jpg  
    Mark.......

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to arcaxis For This Useful Post:


  16. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    The inserts Gtoboy mentioned will look like either of these to fit a 3/8" SAE thread. They can be removed with a coin that fits in the slot.
    It's a floor stand and yes, a cheap one. I will buy a a better one, I need it anyway.

    Thank you very much

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. $25 Mixer Stand with Wheels and $35 Keyboard Stand with (Optional) Music Rack etc.
    By homestudioguy in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 17:25
  2. EA1 shockmount doesn't fit stand!?
    By tokyofan in forum Microphones
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 09:53
  3. Studio Projects C1 cradle doesn't fit on my stand!
    By sjaguar13 in forum Microphones
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 19:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •