Mic Buzzing Issue

Stxple

Ok, so basically the story is as follows. I have had an AT-2020 XLR microphone for a while now, and since I bought it there has always been a buzzing sound.
I figured the mic it's self was the issue however when I unplug the cable from the mic, so the mic isn't connected the sound still occurs.
I have googled many suggestions and fixes but I can't seem to find any that match my issue.

I know this is probably just a dumb mistake but I really want to start using my microphone and this doesn't help.
My Mic Setup Is:
AT-2020 -> XLR/XLR Cable -> Behringer Phantom Power Supply -> XLR/USB Cable -> My PC

If anyone how to solve this issue please let me know, even with minor suggestions.
Noise Sample: https: //youtu . be/59PmHYdlcSI
[Had to break up link as I am not meant to post them, however it is pretty much vital to the question, so apologies]

Thanks, Stxple

What, exactly, is the XLR/USB cable supposed to be doing? Is it one of the XLR to USB cables like this?
Guitar Center
(The single, 1-star review for that specific cable was not encouraging.)

Basically, make sure you're using the pieces correctly, and then test every part individually to determine where it's broken is the best I can suggest.:
Try a dynamic mic with that XLR->USB (skip the phantom power piece) thing to confirm that the cable/converter works
Test the mic and cable with someone else's setup or in a PA mixer that can supply phantom power so you know the A-T mic + cable is Ok

Those simple interfaces with a few components squeezed into the mouldings are absolutely terrible things - designed for non-critical things. Many of them are not balanced - pin 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 of the XLR are shorted together, which is fine for a dynamic. The phantom power adaptors are often 'upset' by this shorting, which makes them behave in strange ways. The Stagg ones tend to drop their 48V voltage quite a bit when the output is unbalanced, as there isn't perfect isolation between in and out as you'd get with a transformer. I'd bet that with the excellent suggestion above of replacing the phantom unit and condenser mic with a a dynamic plugged into the XLRT-USB cable the hum will vanish. That cable will also stop you adjusting the preamp gain leaving you only with the option of software adjustment after the preamp in the cable has mangled the audio. Horrible things for recording decent audio.

So you are suggesting, that if I replace the source of my phantom power with a more expensive, higher quality one the humming will disappear?

Stxple

[Also the setup is my mic, is plugged into the phantom power via xlr to xlr. Then the phantom power is plugged into my pc via xlr to usb.]

In the video I hear a high pitched whine, but I don't hear hum. Is it the whine you're speaking of? If it's whine, does the tone of it change when you move the mouse, a change of graphics on your monitor, or something similar?

As others mentioned it's likely the the inexpensive build quality of the XLR to USB converter. I have one of those Behringer Phantom supplies (PS400 is it?) and it shouldn't give whine or hum. However, if the XLR to USB thingy causes a 'ground loop' of sorts between your computer/laptop back through some capacitive coupling through the phantom supply wall wart adapter, it's possible that it could be the source of the whine. If the XLR/USB thingy has a cord connected on the USB side, does it have a round ferrite lump in it. A ferrite USB type cord 'might' suppress the whine (maybe).

You didn't say what you're doing with the mic, but generally a USB interface will be recommended and it will have the phantom supply as well as a proper mic preamp built into it. Behringer does have some that are reasonably priced and work well.

So you are suggesting, that if I replace the source of my phantom power with a more expensive, higher quality one the humming will disappear?

Stxple

[Also the setup is my mic, is plugged into the phantom power via xlr to xlr. Then the phantom power is plugged into my pc via xlr to usb.]
It’s not guaranteed that replacing that XLR-USB gizmo will necessarily fix anything because you haven’t explained how you know the mic is without fault, though to [MENTION=178786]rob aylestone[/MENTION]’s point, that piece is not a good solution and the combination of 2 pieces that might not be designed to work together *might* be the problem.

That's bus noise, nothing to do with hum - I've only just managed to get the link working.The internal data in the computer gets onto the USB line and then gets converted in the interface. Quite common, very distinctive and the only solution will be a proper interface - although beware, because if your computer is susceptible to this, then some really good interfaces do the same thing. My friend had a 2i2 which many praise as quite nice for the money, but turn his gain up and that noise comes through loud and very clear.

In my previous post I was saying get shot of the cable if you want quality, and the ability to adjust gain. Phantom power isn't the issue, the issue is you need to investigate a proper interface - but borrowing probably best before buying just in case your computer is a tricky one.

Back