MBOX and Adobe Audition

MBox works with the standard ASIO protocol, so if Audition supports it then yes it's possible. But I just have to ask, why aren't you using Protools LE that came with it?

bennychico11 said:
really? ever used Pro Tools?

Not enough to say I have. But take the average user and give them 10 minutes, and I'd guess they would accomplish more with AA. With time, perhaps the opposite. I may be off on this, but that seems to be the vibe I get from most people, as well as my gestalt. And by "average," in today's terms, that is excluding most veteran analog/hardware users, which I've understood Protools is geared to mimic. :)

aaroncomp said:
Not enough to say I have. But take the average user and give them 10 minutes, and I'd guess they would accomplish more with AA. With time, perhaps the opposite. I may be off on this, but that seems to be the vibe I get from most people, as well as my gestalt. And by "average," in today's terms, that is excluding most veteran analog/hardware users, which I've understood Protools is geared to mimic. :)

ah, if you mean average as in first time users....i would really think any program would work fine. Since you have no bias as to what you prefer in an audio program, everything is new...and you'd be willing to learn it. But yes, PT is layed out much like a studio is.
I've worked with programs from Pro Tools to Nuendo, to N-Track to Cool Edit Pro...and even Logic and DP. And I keep coming back to Pro tools. I think one of the main reasons too is I feel like the interface is asthetically pleasing to the eye. I can't stand the programs with flashy colors, knobs and graphics. A simple grey, blue, and green works for me. lol....i know that sounds kinda stupid reason to choose a software program over another one, but it helps.
To each his own though. ;) :cool:

Well I've been using Adobe Audition for a month now and I believe that it is very easy to use. I'm having trouble with Pro Tools though and how everything is laid out. I guess I'm more comfortable using AA because it is almost the same as Audacity (free program that I used before). Anyways, I know that I have to learn protools since it is the industry standard recording software, but I really don't have the time right now. I just have to record one beat from my synth but I am having a hard time recording it with protools and Mbox (it gets distorted and I'm sure it's not from the synth). So any help would be great and maybe someone can tell me the right way to record with an Mbox.

Good point. If all of a sudden all the color monitors were black and white, some folks wouldnt be able to recover, workin in grey scale.

mikec said:
Anyways, I know that I have to learn protools since it is the industry standard recording software, but I really don't have the time right now.

You don't have to learn protools, ever. Use what you're most comfortable and efficient with. If you plan on working in this field, eventually learning Protools would probably be a good idea, however.

About your current problems, give us some more detail about what's going on.

I have to agree with aaroncomp, You dont "Need" to learn PT if you are going to be a home recordist but if your planing to work in big studios or standard studios then its a good thing to know if you run into it.

I have used Cool Edit Pro(auditions former), Sonar, Logic, DP3 and PT LE and have always come back to Sonar (4 PE) as my DAW of choice.

I prefer the work flow and the look.
But there are many basic simularitys between them all.

If I had my Choice I would go back to recording with my old PC and Cool Edit 1.1......... Just nastalgic I guess.

-Blaze

Okay, here is the problem. I'm trying to record a beat from a Roland MC-505 using an Mbox I purchased just recently. It's about a four and a half minute beat but about halfway through the song, the song gets really distorted (like a blender crushing ice). And also, the first half, the one without distortion, is very low. I have to turn the sounds all the way up to hear it.

Sounds like you're overloading the inputs on the Mbox at a certain point. The inputs have selectable sensitivities between mic, line and I think one other. Make sure you're using the line input setting.

AlexW said:
Sounds like you're overloading the inputs on the Mbox at a certain point. The inputs have selectable sensitivities between mic, line and I think one other. Make sure you're using the line input setting.

I think that that is the problem, because I had the volume set while recording. And the song is basically a loop. The first half of the song is the same as the second half. It's during the playback when the audio is very low and distorted.

Thanks for all the respose. I found out the problem. The distortion was caused by using an old version of Microsoft XP. I downloaded and upgraded my XP to Service Pack 2 and the distortion disappeared. thanks for all your help.

Back