matching speakers to amps

volition

i know this is an old topic, and i'm sorry. i've read all the old threads and i think i understand it for the most part, but i wanted to ask anyways

my band is about ready to buy a new pa. what we've decided on so far is a behringer SL2442FX-PRO mixer, 2 peavey PV15s (the ones with 2 15" speakers), a behringer 2500 power amp, and a behringer 2600 compressor.

the speakers are rated at 500W program and 1000W peak at 4 ohms, and the amp will run 600W at 4 ohms or 2400W for 4 ohms bridged. i really don't understand the parallel/series thing. i was just going to plug the left and right main outs of the mixer into the 2 channels on the amp and one speaker into each output. please let me know if this would work, or if there is a better way i don't know about. also let me know if there are any other problems with this setup.

thanks for your help.

volition said:
i know this is an old topic, and i'm sorry. i've read all the old threads and i think i understand it for the most part, but i wanted to ask anyways

my band is about ready to buy a new pa. what we've decided on so far is a behringer SL2442FX-PRO mixer, 2 peavey PV15s (the ones with 2 15" speakers), a behringer 2500 power amp, and a behringer 2600 compressor.

the speakers are rated at 500W program and 1000W peak at 4 ohms, and the amp will run 600W at 4 ohms or 2400W for 4 ohms bridged. i really don't understand the parallel/series thing. i was just going to plug the left and right main outs of the mixer into the 2 channels on the amp and one speaker into each output. please let me know if this would work, or if there is a better way i don't know about. also let me know if there are any other problems with this setup.

thanks for your help.

If you just plug one speaker into each channel, there is no connection between the speakers, so series/parallel does not matter (if you chain the speakers together, that's a parallel connection). You'll have 4 ohms per side, and no worries. That's the best way to go here.

Do NOT bridge the amp and chain the two speakers together into the bridged channel. Doing so will give you a parallel connection of 2 ohms which is too low for a bridged setup.

Back