Match vocals with beat

Side note

I sometimes have a problem matching a rap acapella with the beat. Even after finding the exact tempo of the original beat and creating my own drum pattern, it will often gradually become syncopated with the drum rhythm or not quite sound how it should. I am probably doing something wrong so any tips would be good.

So, naive question here, but shouldn't the singer/rapper perform to the beat track you intend to use? Is the rapper using a metronome or click track or is he doing to his own tempo?

If he's locked in with a metronome or click... if everything else is the same bpm, then you are probably looking at clock speed or sample rate. The acapella part and the beat were recorded on different systems and although the bpm is the same, the sample clocks on each system is slightly out of time respective to each other. Or, they were each recorded using different sample rates. The most obvious would be 44.1khz vs 48khz. If you find that is the case, then you might try resampling one part to match the other.

Ideally, you would want the rapper to perform while listening to the beat track you want on the song.

Back