Mastering Plug Ins

Billyo488

Ok, whats the deal with mastering plug ins like Antares Autotune and Izotope Ozone.
I want to master my songs with these programs, but i have no clue how to use plugins.
I downloaded them and installed them and i dont know what to do from there.

The programs i record with are either Mackie Tracktion, N-Track Studio, or Adobe Audition (not that familliar with Audition)

Could someone please tell me how to use a plug in.

Thanx in advance

I use t-racks. It's a stand alone program for mastering. You just open the wave file and master away then save it. I haven't been too impressed on mastering plugins, though someone may know of some good ones.

You spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on plugins, and you have no idea what you're even looking for?

Autotune for mastering?

Now I think I've heard it all... But every time I say that, I hear something even better...

"Mastering plugin" is a buzzword. If you can't hear what you need, all the tools in the world aren't going to tell you.

In Traction you have to go into the "settings" window and click Plugins" at the side then click "Add New Path" and select the Plugin directories that you have the Plugins installed in and then you will have access to the Plugins in the Traction recording window....

Traction also comes with some Good Plugins like the "Final Mix" Plugin is a very good EQ Plugin....

To add a Plugin to a Track you simply Click on "New Filter" and Drag and drop it on the Track you want to add the filter to and then the Plugin menu will pop up and you select the one you want and after selecting the Plugin the Plugins settings will pop up were you can adjust the settings for that plugin ....

You can also add a Plugin to all Tracks at the same time by dropping the Plugin at the Bottom right were it says "Drop Filters Here".....

Cheers

heres the best advice in the world, which ive been told...

track as perfect as you can. get placement perfect, volume's perfect, carefully and slow, make it sound as clear and as good as you can.
don't use mixing to 'fix' anything. mix to make it flow, not to fix what you messed up while tracking. go back to tracking if needed.
master to finish it off and set all of the songs sounding 'right' in comparison to each other. dont use mastering to fix what you did wrong in mixing. go back to mixing if needed.

using my learnings, which i have shared with you, i have yet to get past proper tracking and ive been doing it 6 months. i doubt that your mixes are so good that you need to master them, especially since you dont know how to work with plugins.

I just got the best plugins in the world for mastering!!!
They are called.....

ears. :eek:

is Massive the only one picking up on this?

quit wasting your time downloading cracked plugins and take your mix to someone who knows what they're doing (and knows what Autotuner actually is used for)

:rolleyes:

i try not to make accusations because then they all pounce me with critical remarks. but i have a firm belief he's cracked some software....

TragikRemix said:
but i have a firm belief he's cracked some software....

Who Cares if someone uses Cracked/Patched software?? I think Jay walking is a More enforced ,Serious and dangerous crime and no one cares if you jay walk ....

But this is a Can of worms I would rather not get in to.....

Back to the Subject....

There are uses for Plugins for more than just Mastering like simply adding Reverb or compression ect to get the sound you want ...

Since I don"t have any real outboard equipment i use Plugins for adding Guitar effects like Flanger and Chorus and Distortion and get pretty good results and they don"t add the backround Humm that you can get with some outboard equipment especially the cheaper satuff which is all I could afford if I were to buy outboard equipment and there are so many free Pluginz available there really isn"t any need to buy or use Warez Pluginz....

I find that most of the Plugins I use are Freeware ones and It seems to me anyways that the freeware plugins are far less CPU intensive than most of the Pay for plugins.....

I also use quite a few plugins when Mixing down, usually Compression and Reverb and EQ Plugins which helps get me a more Produced sound.....

But I agree that it is better to get the best sound you can in the first place so you don"t have to use certain plugins when Mixing.....

Cheers

TragikRemix said:
heres the best advice in the world, which ive been told...

track as perfect as you can. get placement perfect, volume's perfect, carefully and slow, make it sound as clear and as good as you can.
don't use mixing to 'fix' anything. mix to make it flow, not to fix what you messed up while tracking. go back to tracking if needed.
master to finish it off and set all of the songs sounding 'right' in comparison to each other. dont use mastering to fix what you did wrong in mixing. go back to mixing if needed.

using my learnings, which i have shared with you, i have yet to get past proper tracking and ive been doing it 6 months. i doubt that your mixes are so good that you need to master them, especially since you dont know how to work with plugins.
sounds like excellant advice

yeah i hate it though...

i cant get the drums to sound good in tracking, so i never get passed the first step! luckily, i got DFH superior and v drums now, but i still wish i could get my acoustic set to sound good.

Hay Massive Master. Your a f*cking idiot. I didnt buy these programs my friend helped me out with them. And this is the Newbies section, and i posted in this section cuz i just started a band and i wana get to learn as much as i can
so STFU

t-racks is good it doesnt slow your pc down...
but it lacks reverb and stuff like that..
ozone is good but if you use it to much youll bog everything down,.
I didnt like the waves stuff that much...
and soundforge has some decent plug ins.......

I got your camp right here buddy.
he was asking about mastering and plug ins...
reverb is pre mastering.
I would say anything that changes a recording is.
I was simply putting that t-racks and ozone are good, soundforge is more complete for other applications.

Minion said:
There are uses for Plugins for more than just Mastering like simply adding Reverb or compression ect to get the sound you want ...

Since I don"t have any real outboard equipment i use Plugins for adding Guitar effects like Flanger and Chorus and Distortion and get pretty good results and they don"t add the backround Humm that you can get with some outboard equipment especially the cheaper satuff which is all I could afford if I were to buy outboard equipment and there are so many free Pluginz available there really isn"t any need to buy or use Warez Pluginz....

I find that most of the Plugins I use are Freeware ones and It seems to me anyways that the freeware plugins are far less CPU intensive than most of the Pay for plugins.....

I also use quite a few plugins when Mixing down, usually Compression and Reverb and EQ Plugins which helps get me a more Produced sound.....

But I agree that it is better to get the best sound you can in the first place so you don"t have to use certain plugins when Mixing.....

Cheers
seems like someone else was on the same page as me....

Back