mastered track sounds off.

hey hoping to see if I can get to the bottom of my poor sounding mastered track.

I have the boss br800 and it has 8 tracks in total. 1,2,3,4 are single tracks and 5/6 and 7/8 stereo tracks.

When I run out of tracks to use I like to master them down to 7/8 to make more room for other tracks but I've noticed something is off when I do this.

For example.

if I fill 1,2,3,4 and 5/6 with all my song parts sort the levels and pan them exactly how I want them it sounds great. however when I bounce/master them onto track 7/8 which is a stereo track it sounds off.

I seem to lose the wide panning it sounds more centralized, if anything with a slight leaning more to the right panning meaning the left side of the mix sounds pretty vacant. and the levels also seem to change slightly with the centralized tracks sounding a bit louder than the tracks that were panned.

I will then try to combat this by doing another bounce and only adding the wide panned tracks to the new master to try and bring back what was lost a little but it continues to centralize and boost the centre tracks almost like it's in mono but this isn't the case as I can here some slight panning when I get up close to the speakers and listen.

is this normal when mastering down to a stereo track to lose those far panned tracks ? and for the more central parts to become louder/more the focus ?

listening even more closely I've noticed the right panning doesn't suffer and still sounds very wide it is all the left side ???? don't understand what could be causing this as it recording onto a stereo 7/8 track with the panning centred so no bias to one side.

Don't have a BR 800 and I know JACK about mastering! But are you putting these tracks into a DAW, if so which one?

Dave.

I suggest you recheck your boss br-800 settings before you bounce....and also try bouncing to 5/6 and see if the same thing happens.

I suggest you recheck your boss br-800 settings before you bounce....and also try bouncing to 5/6 and see if the same thing happens.

it auto sets to 7/8 there I no adjustments able to be made its just turn mastering on which lights up 7/8 to record what it is hearing coming from 1.2.3.4 and 5/6 and then when im finished recording I get to listen to a preview and its here I notice its all off, but I crack on and when I listen back to it on 7/8 vmst it again is off.

I double check all the settings for 7/8 make sure its all panned odwn the centre no effects etc but nothing is on it should basically just record exactly what its hearing and play back as such....

icant even blame my monitor speakers as it sounds great pre mastering.

Do a test run with a coup[le of tracks, one panned hard left, the other hard right, bounce just those two to 7/8 then see what happens.

You can set it to bounce to 5/6. Check to make sure you don't have some type of mastering fx turned on during the bounce. How are you listening to your mixes? Headphones don't give the same panning (to ears) as speakers.

Back