Marking Audio Track for Syncing with Video

Abstract

I use a Zoom H1n recorder on all my videos to record the audio, which I later add to the video Track. My problem is making the sync mark, I do a lot of Live Band recording and hand Claps, are not even visible with all the loud music on the waveform! I presently use a whistle, then find a quiet place and mark audio with that method, problem is that means going way out of the area, setting everything, and then fighting my way back to the front of the stages with all the equipment running, ..depending on the crowd that can be 10 minutes or more! I'm wondering if there is any way I don't know about, for marking the audio and staying up front where the action is occurring! Thanks John

You don't say how you use the H1n, but a clapboard is the traditional method to do that. If it's not loud enough, then you'll need to get closer to the H1n is all I can suggest, given the equipment you have. I'd suggest getting a helper to stay at the front until you've got things set up. And, do it again periodically - at least at each set.

Higher end recorders have a timecode that is "jammed" into the video (unless the video is providing the tc) and the software will sync on that data.

Some video software can do an auto-sync using the video's audio track. Logic Pro X does this, and there are others. How well they work depends on how much the waveforms can be matched. Most of the time it's fine, and sometimes it still requires manual adjustment.

In most cases, the actual signal of whatever you're recording is perfectly fine guide. Somewhere in there, there is a peak that's recognizable between the two files. You are recording audio from the camera too, no? Just line them up. Considering that there 48000 audio samples for every 30 (maybe 60 nowadays) video frames means that perfect sample accurate sync isn't all that important and close enough really is close enough.

Yep, I use the camera audio as a reference to rough sync my Zoom H5 audio. Then I manually fine tune so it looks right. Just going by the camera audio seems to put it a few frames off of perfect.

Look at the snare hits, assuming there is a drummer LOL.

Alan.

Yeah! Last band I recorded THE loudest thing on the tracks was the snare cracks. I resolved that if I did it again (O mic night Labour club) I would get a sheet of perspex and shut him up a bit!

Dave.

Thanks Guys I will try out the matching peaks method suggested. ...I just thought there might be some Easier method I had not heard about!

Back