Marantz help

lenny

HI, this is my first post. I am a bit clueless to recording and I just picked up a 1977 marantz 5420 tape recorder. Does anyone have any experience with these? I dont know how to (or if its possible to) listen to one thing and play along with it and have it record what i am playing. any help would be great

Lenny

That's a neat old cassette deck, but unfortunately it won't do overdubbing.

It was also made around the time when Marantz quality began to slide a bit.

TEAC made some cassette decks that had Simul-Sync capabilities, but I think they came later.

thank you for the quick response....man thats a downer...is there any kind of accessory i could get for it to overdub? or am i better off just getting a new one?

lenny. a modern pc costs a few hundred bucks.
you can do easily 48 tracks on one.
all the overdubbing you want to do . if you want me to post
a good configuration, tell me your budget and i will do so.
also search under my name . you will learn lots of tips ive posted in past year.
peace.

lenny said:
thank you for the quick response....man thats a downer...is there any kind of accessory i could get for it to overdub? or am i better off just getting a new one?

You can get a 4-track Tascam cassette recorder pretty cheap these days, well under $200 depending on the model. I've long since gone to PC recording, but I still have my Tascam unit and it works fine.

You can use the Marantz unit for mixdown if you like.

Back