Making a piano driven rock opera without a real piano?

Synth

Hey guys, this is my first post on here! I promise I'll start contributing with some answers soon, but for the moment I have a burning question for all you professional producers out there.

So I've been working on this idea for a concept album. While it's definitely an alternative rock album, it takes a lot of influence from musicals such as Be More Chill and Dear Evan Hansen (if you need a reference listen to Waving Through A Window from the Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack. I can't post a link unfortunately because I'm a homerecording noob)

I'm currently using a combination of my Casio Privia px-160 keyboard and Logic's virtual piano presets. So I guess my question is, do you guys think I would be able to pull off a piano driven album without using a real acoustic piano? I want this to sound completely professional, and am not opposed to buying a real piano if its absolutely necessary. Does anybody know of any similar albums that were made using only virtual pianos? I would be so grateful to anyone who has any thoughts on this. Thank you so much!

Early answer without details (although I'm sure others will chime in about the pros and cons of specific virtual instruments) -- I've worked on several albums from several *solo* pianists that have had reviews done by reviewers who are blatantly opposed to MIDI and faux/virtual-piano - and a few have mentioned what a lovely instrument tone they had. So long story short, it's entirely possible to come up with a convincing and authentic sound - even with a solo instrument where there's nothing else to mask it.

Massive Master I'm glad you think its possible. If solo pianists can make it work, I'm hopeful that it could work for a rock based project that has other instruments mixed in a majority of the time. Thanks for the insight!

Back