Making my first track

MrDinemajor

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to the whole recording thing. Been playing guitar for 3 years now and just got my first home studio setup. I got the Focusrite 3rd gen pack with the mic and all.

I'm completely confused with all the information being thrown at me. I haven't found a video that just explains how to set up virtual drums and a keyboard (I only have a desktop keyboard I'll think about investing in a MIDI). For starters, I'd like to just record a little guitar line and some drums and input some MIDI from my desktop keyboard like I used to do in FL when I was messing around with it 5 years ago.

I'm using pro tools first btw. So if anyone can help a complete beginner I would be grateful and if I ever make it I will include you in honorable mentions for my grammy hahaha.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to the whole recording thing. Been playing guitar for 3 years now and just got my first home studio setup. I got the Focusrite 3rd gen pack with the mic and all.

I'm completely confused with all the information being thrown at me. I haven't found a video that just explains how to set up virtual drums and a keyboard (I only have a desktop keyboard I'll think about investing in a MIDI). For starters, I'd like to just record a little guitar line and some drums and input some MIDI from my desktop keyboard like I used to do in FL when I was messing around with it 5 years ago.

I'm using pro tools first btw. So if anyone can help a complete beginner I would be grateful and if I ever make it I will include you in honorable mentions for my grammy hahaha.

You are a total conundrum MrD! You have bought a bog cheapest, one lung interface and yet have (how?) Pro Tools?

You KNOW about MIDI and yet buy an interface without it! IMHO you would do best to chop in the F'rite pack and buy a decent AI with at least two mic inputs (I SHALL say "Native Instruments KA6!).

I know nothing of PT but think I have read it is not a lot of cop for MIDI work? Try the free till guilt gest ya, Reaper or the free Cakewalk.

Oh, I DO wish folks would ask here first before splashing their cash!

Dave.

Welcome to the boards and to home recording. I'd suggest that you go download Reaper instead of using a lite version of Pro Tools. Then go and download the FREE MT Power Drum Kit 2. Just remember that if you use the FREE version of MTPDK2, you'll have to open your FX and hit the "Skip" on the Nag Screen every time you load the plugin or a project with it, or you'll hear no drum sounds. I'd recommend paying the $6 or whatever for it to avoid this. Either way it's the best FREE drums you'll find, though I also believe Steven Slate Drums now actually offers a FREE version as well... so go check that out. Reaper has TONS of tutorials online and a great helpful community, so if you run into a problem or need to know how to do something it's just a Google search away. Best of luck!

+1 for the MT Power Drumkit. The biggest disadvantage is that it only had one basic drum kit, but you can modify it in the mixer settings. Plus you can use it to trigger other drum VST samples if you have them.

There are lots of patterns included so you can easily build a track that doesn't have that fake synth drum feel. I threw together a quick drum track for a song the other night in about 30 minutes. This should give you and idea of what it sounds like.

Attachments

• Quick Drums MTPDK.mp3
    723.1 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the advice, my friend recommended Reaper as well and I think I'll be switching right away. It seems more beginner-friendly. I'll pay anything to get rid of those skip buttons.

+1 for the MT Power Drumkit. The biggest disadvantage is that it only had one basic drum kit, but you can modify it in the mixer settings. Plus you can use it to trigger other drum VST samples if you have them.

There are lots of patterns included so you can easily build a track that doesn't have that fake synth drum feel. I threw together a quick drum track for a song the other night in about 30 minutes. This should give you and idea of what it sounds like.

That sounds awesome will check it out for sure!

Back