Is magetic tape direction-less?

Viceroyisacat

So... This seems like a simple question but I can find an answer online.

Is magnetic tape directionless? If I splice a 2 minute piece of tape does, top, bottom, back and front matter?

once recorded, store tails out of course. but pre recorded, does it matter?

Viceroy

Tails out is to keep print through from causing an echo in quiet spots like the fade out. If there's no audio on the tape, that won't matter.

Of course, tape does have a front and back side.

Tails out is to keep print through from causing an echo in quiet spots like the fade out. If there's no audio on the tape, that won't matter.

Of course, tape does have a front and back side.

Right...But, the CABLES have a direction. All the best audiophool imterconnects have arrows on them to show it! Must not use any RCA lead under $100 per foot.

Dave.

Is magnetic tape directionless? If I splice a 2 minute piece of tape does, top, bottom, back and front matter?

Viceroy

Yes, Front and back side... put if I splice it doesn't matter if the previous top (track 1 on top and 16 on bottom (or front to back) become the bottom track 16 on top and 1 on bottom (back to front)... right?

Yes, Front and back side... put if I splice it doesn't matter if the previous top (track 1 on top and 16 on bottom (or front to back) become the bottom track 16 on top and 1 on bottom (back to front)... right?

It doesn't matter whether you splice it forward or backward unless you're keeping what's on the tracks and want them to end up playing forward at the same outputs.

If you are splicing prerecorded material, it matters. Track 1 needs to stay at the top. If you use the angled guides of a splicing block, the splices will line up properly.

Viceroy

just out of interest:

why are you working with tape? working on old recordings i take it?

Back