Mackie 1604VLZ4 mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6,Equator D5's - monitoring issue

Astrocyte

[ That should be Mackie 1402VLZ4 mixer... I don't know what I was smoking when I wrote that... long day!!! ]

Hello guys,

I'm running the Mackie ALT 3/4 outs to Analog 3/4 inputs on the interface, outputs 1/2 of the interface into Line In 13/14 on the Mackie, my D5's are running from the Control Room outs on the Mackie.
Everything works as expected except for the fact that I only have sound from my left monitor! Well, if I turn the volume right up I get a faint crackled, distorted signal in the right monitor.
Headphone output I get a nice lovely stereo signal, no problems.

All cables checked and working, monitors both working fine.

Here's a screenshot of the Scarlett MixControl window (the software mixer for the interface):
mix control.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions it'd be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• mix control.jpg
    mix control.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Welcome to the fun house.
You didn't exactly say if you swap the monitor left and rights if the trouble stays with the one connected to the left out..?
So in a sort poke at what might be.. the typical 'Mackie kinda fun.. :)
If it does stay with the left out, try
a) some nice sharp whacks' around on the mixer, and/or
b) feed'em a nice hot whack from a loud snare hit or something..

Oops almost forgot one. The ol' exorcise (yes 'exorcise :) .. all the ch assign buttons in out about a dozen times each..

(I got five$ on 'ribbon cables. Who wants 'buttons?

:D

Hey,

Still get sound from left monitor when all the cables are swapped around!
Exorcism is starting to sound like a viable option!

Well, looks like Analog 3&4 are linked. You don't say what your inputs are. Are you recording a stereo input like a keyboard? Or are you recording a mono input like a guitar or mic? If the latter, unlink the channels.

BTW: If you are indeed recording a mono source like a mic and you hear it in both sides of your headphones, that is NOT stereo. Just the same mono signal duplicated on both sides.

Lem'e know. This is sort of an on going fun game I've been play with 'The Mackies'
:rolleyes: Latest ( of about what three now? :facepalm: is 1620 Onyx that's about to go to the shop.
But.. it really only pisses me off when I think about it :p

I'm recording stereo synths, yes.
However, the problem isn't with my inputs it seems. Even while simply running audio from Cubase through the interface to the mixer to the monitors produces the issue.
In fact, all audio is coming from the left monitor only.
Tearing my hair out here!

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about inputs.

So, whatever you play from Cubase comes out only on the left channel. Yet the headphones is okay. Where are the headphones plugged? Interface or mixer? How about from Windows Media player? Only on the left?

In your screenshots, what are DAW1 and DAW2?

Also, why are you using a mixer with the interface? Not really necessary. Can you remove the mixer from the chain and see if you still have problems?

No worries. Headphones running from the mixer, the headphones run off the Control Room/Submix same as the monitors...
Sound via MediaPlayer, VLC, YouTube - any sound, is coming through the left monitor only.
Everything works fine without the mixer, I've been using my 8i6 and my D5's for about 2 1/2 years without any issues.

DAW 1 and DAW 2 are the outputs from your DAW, so in this case Cubase, channels 1 and 2 (which you can change in your DAW).

Just got the mixer yesterday as I've now got quite a few synths, outboard effects units, guitars, my Technics 1210's etc that I'd rather run through a mixer than splash out on a new interface with tonnes of inputs!

BTW, cable-wise I'm using balanced TRS to XLRs from the mixer to the monitors (as I do if I'm monitoring from the interface) and balanced TRSs from interface to mixer. Input wise it's source dependant of course.

Back