MacBook Air 2015 vs Corsair One

texture

Hey all,

Bought a Steinberg ur22 mkii to start my home recording journey and when I open it up I have a choice of computer to attach it to which I know may affect some things down the line...like software availability. To begin I'm just going to try out the Cubase it comes with but later can see myself wanting Superior Drummer and a different DAW.

I only use the Corsair One for gaming while the MacBook is obviously more portable and quieter.

What would you choose and why?

-David

Hey all,

Bought a Steinberg ur22 mkii to start my home recording journey and when I open it up I have a choice of computer to attach it to which I know may affect some things down the line...like software availability. To begin I'm just going to try out the Cubase it comes with but later can see myself wanting Superior Drummer and a different DAW.

I only use the Corsair One for gaming while the MacBook is obviously more portable and quieter.

-David

I am sure the choice of computer is not a "one time forever, ***t or bust" decision? At least I have never had an AI where that obtains?

I can plug my NI KA6 into one of 3 computers including this old i3 HP laptop. The KA6 just lights up and gets on with it. I have a F'rite 8i6 and that is similarly versatile. I don't think macs bugger AIs for PCs? (tho', I am sure they would if they could !)

Just a thought on Cubase. Before you install it on one or tother find out if you can buy a dongle from Steinberg. If so you will then not have to dedicate Cubase to one machine. In any case, most full DAWs let you install it on at least two machines. My Samplitude Pro X 3 can be on up to three.

Dave.

I am sure the choice of computer is not a "one time forever, ***t or bust" decision? At least I have never had an AI where that obtains?

I can plug my NI KA6 into one of 3 computers including this old i3 HP laptop. The KA6 just lights up and gets on with it. I have a F'rite 8i6 and that is similarly versatile. I don't think macs bugger AIs for PCs? (tho', I am sure they would if they could !)

Just a thought on Cubase. Before you install it on one or tother find out if you can buy a dongle from Steinberg. If so you will then not have to dedicate Cubase to one machine. In any case, most full DAWs let you install it on at least two machines. My Samplitude Pro X 3 can be on up to three.

Dave.

Had some licensing issues with Cubase so decided to get Protools First. I got it setup and hear actual guitar sounds via hiZ...so mission accomplished for now.

It's good to hear these AIs can be moved around so easily. I'll check out the gear you mention to see what those are. Cheers.

Licensing issues? Yes, Steinberg can be a bit sniffy and tricky getting software activated. One of the good things (plenty of downsides!) to the dongle idea. Once you have the dongle software running you rarely have any other problems. But don't lose it!

I know nothing of Protools, how is that registered? Re "the gear": I am a bit of an evangelist for the KA6! Its big strengths are super solid drivers and the ability to work on any platform. Any Windows OS including Blista. Macs and Linux. At a bit under £180 here it has the lowest latency of any AI I know of in its class. Good connectivity, 2 very quiet mic/line/hZ inputs (not masses of mic gain but enough) plus two more line ins, MIDI and S/PDIF. Four balanced outs.
The 8i6 has the same connectivity but needs a 12V 1.5A supply although so equipped it can run "stand alone" i.e. no 'puter.

Keep us posted with your progress and post some music clips asayc.

Should have said...8i6 no longer in production but there is an equivalent I think?

Dave.

Hey all,

-David

Hi,
Looks like the UR22 is MacOS and Windows compatible so, as Dave says, I'm not sure I'd choose.
I mean, obviously if one is quieter and you're doing intimate acoustic recording, or if one is portable and you need to record on the go, the decision is made,
but you may as well grab some software that'll run on both and keep the option open if you're not 100% sure.

Reaper's always a solid suggestion.
Protools is great, and it's what I use, but it's quite expensive and the 'First' version is very limited.
Maybe it'll be ok for what you're doing?
I got a great five year deal as a student which made Protools a steal for along time but, starting over, I'd be looking at something free or cheaper, most likely.

The 8i6 has the same connectivity but needs a 12V 1.5A supply although so equipped it can run "stand alone" i.e. no 'puter.
Should have said...8i6 no longer in production but there is an equivalent I think?
I have looked at the 6i6 and 8i6 specs and am a bit baffled where the 8 vs. 6 ins difference is, honestly. They seem identical, and the 6i6 has the advantage (IMO) of dual headphone outputs. Seems like the 6i6 must have replaced the 8i6, which might have been misnamed, not that the whole in/out thing with interfaces is anything but misleading for the typical neophyte.

Ooh, that looks a bit dirty to me.
Two of the 8 inputs are "loopback", apparently.

Loopback
Use when recording from one software program to another. Loopback can be used for routing audio from e.g. your internet browser to record into the DAW, or to record from one DAW to another.

Ooh, that looks a bit dirty to me.
Two of the 8 inputs are "loopback", apparently.

Don't think so S. The manual reads of outputs 3&4 as being as they are on the 8i6 and my KA6, straight line outs. They do say they are "configerable" in MixContol. I must confess I have never delved into that with my F'rite. Actually at the moment all it does is take a line feed from a hi fi amp so I can dupe vinyl. It is connected round the room via a 5mtr USB cable to a desktop. Seems happy enough!

Dave.

Don't think so S. The manual reads of outputs 3&4 as being as they are on the 8i6 and my KA6, straight line outs. They do say they are "configerable" in MixContol. I must confess I have never delved into that with my F'rite. Actually at the moment all it does is take a line feed from a hi fi amp so I can dupe vinyl. It is connected round the room via a 5mtr USB cable to a desktop. Seems happy enough!

Dave.

Taking the OP far offroad here, but I got it from focusrite manual.
Their 8 input interface has 6 physical inputs. The other two are what they're calling 'loop-back', or internal.

What, not the six?

I have looked at the 6i6 and 8i6 specs and am a bit baffled where the 8 vs. 6 ins difference is, honestly. They seem identical...

Keith is asking why the 8 input focusrite interface is described as such, when it only has 6 physical inputs (just like the unit that's advertised as having 6).
I'm answering that the additional two "inputs" are internal/virtual/software loopback.

I think maybe we should stop talking about interfaces here, though... OP is asking which computer he should use.

What, not the six?

Keith is asking why the 8 input focusrite interface is described as such, when it only has 6 physical inputs (just like the unit that's advertised as having 6).
I'm answering that the additional two "inputs" are internal/virtual/software loopback.

I think maybe we should stop talking about interfaces here, though... OP is asking which computer he should use.

Yes, the no more 8i6 and the now 6i6 ARE similarly equipped. I thnk Focusrite wanted to rationalize the numbers for the new model?

As for stopping talking about interfaces? Ok, I will but Ee! Started it!

Dave.

Thanks you guys for the tour into interfaces. Consider this one solved. Going to be looking into microphones next and will create a new thread if searching doesn't satisfy.

Thanks you guys for the tour into interfaces. Consider this one solved. Going to be looking into microphones next and will create a new thread if searching doesn't satisfy.

Eeeeeesy! Get an SM57 with a good foam gob gag if used for vocals. If you want ultra low noise speech recordings an NT-1a.

Sorted. Wanna talk about monitor speakers and room now?

Dave.

I know there is still no NVidia drivers for the 1000 series cards, and probably never will be, but you could run OSX on the integrated graphics and then run games on Windows, using the full power of the 1070 or 1080.

Nvidia added support for 10 series under Mac OS quite some time ago! :)

Back