Mac/Garageband Anyone?

BenignVanilla

I noticed GarageBand coverage is lacking here. I understand it is not nearly as powerful as Pro Tools, Cubase, etc....but is anyone using it? but me of course? :)

I used it for a while, but then switched over to Logic.

It's a great program. Perfectly adequate for most recording needs. I still use if for quick an easy things that I just want to get down.

I still use it. I love it. It's plenty powerful enough for what I do. I am in the process of switching over to Logic, not because I don't like garage band though.

I'm using two diasy-chained Presonus FP10s with Logic. I tried a friends M-box and the only reason I didn't buy one myself is because it had only two inputs. For about $100 more I got 8 audio inputs, MIDI and S/PDIF. The Presonus FP10s work with Garageband too.

Is it true that you have to use Digidesign hardware to use Pro Tools?

Can you use any hardware with Logic?

M-Audio makes interfaces compatable with the m-powered version of protools.

I've messed with garage band a bit, just to try it out. Very fun, but I'm very partial to my mpc.

Garageband is great - reason enough to buy a Mac! I use Logic Studio more and more lately as "Space Designer" allows me to load external Impulse Responses (cabs) and coupled with Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube Metal, etc., it's GREAT. I also use Guitar Amp Pro some too (Amp Sim part of Logic). Logic (or Logic Express) is an amzing DAW to use and comes with enough goodies to keep you experimenting for a long time.

Garageband is amazing in that it's FREE with most New Macs and MUCH better than most of the "Shareware, Freeware" DAW's used by PC dudes. It's so easy to get up and running with it too. I recorded my 1st song the 1st night I tryed it out. Added basslines with my Midi Keyboard, loaded some Drum Loops and supplied the guitar parts without even 1 hassle! Damn fine app.

I love Garageband and mac in general. I am new to apple, but once you go mac... :)

I am planning on moving up to Logic Studio next year, but for now the I am still loving all of the programs that come with my macbook pro.

-Neal

once you go mac... :)

I gotta agree with ya man! Amen and so forth.:)

I recorded a full length CD for the RPM Challenge(Record and write a 10 song or 30min album in one month) in February after only having My Macbook for a week. I was able to work with Garageband without much in ways of hiccups(Just needed to learn it better).

Good program.:D

Two questions:
1. Is it possible/easy to import mp3 files into GB?
2. How do you export tracks from GB to WAV files ?
TIA

I have begun moving most of my work to Cakewalk, so I've run into this already.

1. Yes you can import. Literally drag and drop the mp3 or wav on to GB, and it will create a track for you. You can also import via iTunes.

2. When I export...what I do is make sure the tracks are unlocked. Save then play to be sure you have unlocked tracks. Then...I lock the tracks. Then open Finder, and go to your GB folder. Find the project, right click and look at the package contents (been awhile, so I may have the terms wrong but you'll see what I am talking about). Under the package contents, you'll see the frozen files. Take those, and send them to your buddy.

Simple question about Garage Band

Our guitar player has Garage Band and lives 200 miles away. I use Cubase. I want to send him tracks and have him record his parts and send them back for mixdown. Two questions:
1. Is it possible/easy to import mp3 files into GB?
2. How do you export tracks from GB to WAV files ?

TIA

I have a problem recording guitar to Garageband. It doesn't seem to matter how I try to record the guitar, either straight in or through an amp, I begin to play and then the feedback stops the recording. I tried feeback protection but it didn't work. Do I need an audio interface or would something else (like tweaking the setings) do? It's very frustrating.

I have a problem recording guitar to Garageband. It doesn't seem to matter how I try to record the guitar, either straight in or through an amp, I begin to play and then the feedback stops the recording. I tried feeback protection but it didn't work. Do I need an audio interface or would something else (like tweaking the setings) do? It's very frustrating.

Check your system settings for sound, Mayismus. If you're using the internal mic and speakers simultaneously, that's all you'll get is feedback. Try hooking up headphones if you must use the internal mic.

Thanks, Dave.

I get feedback when I use headphones from the headphones jack. I don't hear feedback but Garageband flashes up a feedback warning and stops the recording. I was hoping a Cakewalk usb-audio interface might solve the problem.

Thanks, Dave.

I get feedback when I use headphones from the headphones jack. I don't hear feedback but Garageband flashes up a feedback warning and stops the recording. I was hoping a Cakewalk usb-audio interface might solve the problem.

Wow! Feedback while using headphones? All you could do is lower the volume and move a few feet further away from the internal mic to eliminate it.

You can use a USB or Firewire audio interface on Mac. If you only need two simultaneous inputs (voice & guitar) an Mbox or Apogee Duet would do the trick.

MBox Search
Apogee duet Search

Thanks, Dave_M. I am beginning to see the problem is in what I am doing rather than any serious problem with the set up. I'll look at amp placement and where I am when I play. But I still need a certain proximity to the keyboard to actually activity play buttons and the like.

I'll check out the interfaces that you suggest and I'm also considering the M-Audio Fast Track. Any opinions on M-Audio, anyone?

I recorded my band's first EP with GB because I thought it was the shizzle. It is BTW, even though I've graduated to Cakewalk....but you should be able to do what you are trying without issue...On your input channel do you have the feedback protection turned on? Turn that off...it's not very effective, IMHO.

Back