M Audio BX5 Speakers messed up

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hi Guys,

In need of a bit of help with my monitors! Basically i bought these like a couple of months ago, and its taken me this long to get them to produce sound (Dont ask!!!) So, ive finally got sound coming from them using the XLR connections in the back, running to my RCA inputs on my soundcard (M Audio 1010LT)
Sound is now coming from the speakers, the only thing is now that theres a horrible static hiss over it all, and the left speaker hisses even when no sound is being produced. I tried ringing M Audio but theyre useless! Just said its the cable (which it isnt!) I have 10 different cables which ive used and now ive bought some high quality 24c gold plated cables for £40 each!! So yeah, Anyone had the same problem? anyone know what i can do to fix it? Any advice will be HIGHLY appreciated.

Cheers!

Peace! :cool:

Tifstorey said:
So, ive finally got sound coming from them using the XLR connections in the back, running to my RCA inputs on my soundcard (M Audio 1010LT)

You'll be wanting to use a pair of outputs from your card, not inputs.

I don't have that soundcard, but I would be surprised at making a connection between XLR and phono. Regardless, you want to connect the OUTPUT of your card to the inputs of your monitors.

Have you had other speakers connected up to the Delta without trouble in the past?

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
You'll be wanting to use a pair of outputs from your card, not inputs.

Hi,

I meant outputs, not inputs. Stupid me :( !!!

Im going to take the speakers to work tomorrow and test them in the studio with the other macs.

If the speakers work fine, i guess its the soundcard, and if not, then its obviously the speakers.

Taken me so long to get all this sorted!! Spent over £3000, 4 months and ive not even recorded anything yet!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the replies people,

anymore advice will be appreciated :)

Peace :cool:

shackrock said:
yah...and beyond that...off first glance I'd say it'd be your soundcard setup before the speakers.

What would need setting up on my soundcard? In the past using speakers is generally just plug in and away you go...

Ive tried using different channels with the sound card, but they all seem to be the same..

There's probably a dozen things that could be affecting this. Have you got any other sound cards in the pc? Have you definitely got the right cables? Etc.etc.

FWIW - I have only ever had speakers/monitors plugged into a mixer, not straight from the soundcard outputs. Dunno what difference that makes because as I say I'm not too familiar with your soundcard.

noisedude said:
There's probably a dozen things that could be affecting this. Have you got any other sound cards in the pc? Have you definitely got the right cables? Etc.etc.

Definately got the right cables, i bought some cheap nasty ones at first and the hissing began, so i presumed it was the cables, so i bought some gold plated beauties, but its still the same.

Took my mac into work today to test it with the monitors there but couldnt use it because a band had hired the studio out for the day...Will try again tomorrow!!!

Tifstorey said:
Definately got the right cables, i bought some cheap nasty ones at first and the hissing began, so i presumed it was the cables, so i bought some gold plated beauties, but its still the same.

Took my mac into work today to test it with the monitors there but couldnt use it because a band had hired the studio out for the day...Will try again tomorrow!!!

Let us know how you get on.

I use a 1010LT but I'm struggling to think what 'settings' would cause the problems you describe.

I know you have good quality cables but are you positive they're the right type? Because the only other thing I can think of is that you're going from unbalanced outs on the card to balanced ins on the speakers. I think you might get problems doing this. Anyone else care to clarify this because I'm not 100% sure if I'm honest?

Hi Kevin,

Im pretty sure theyre correct, if you used unbalanced > balanced speakers, would it behave like this though?

Im starting to think its more to do with my soundcard. Surely if it was my speakers they would be hissing/buzzing all the time? Due to it being perfect sound, then hissing and so on...it just sounds to be more like a sound card problem.

Ive checked everything over on my settings, im using correct sample rate, everything is the same as when i purchased it... So confusing!!!

:(

I think it's possible yes. Take a look at this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=1299560#post1299560

I assume your cables are balanced? try some unbalanced cables. To keep your costs down don't blow a load of cash on top quality ones, if that is the problem then even cheap cable will be a massive improvement.

If it's not that then I'm afraid I'm stumped. Don't give up hope though, there are a lot of people on here who know a lot more than i do.

I guess you'll know after tomorrow whether it's your card or your monitors anyway?

Cheers Kevin,

Appreciate the help! Ill see what the results show at the studio tomorrow, and if im still scratching my head by tomorrow night, ill purchase some nice cheap unbalanced cables.

Ill keep you updated.

Thanks again :o

I'm thinking, if you're going RCA plugs out of your soundcard, don't bother trying to get it into the XLRinputs on the back of the Bx5's. Just do the 1/4" plugs. It's easier, cheaper, and I bet it'd work. haha.

Thats the first cable i used, but these didnt work at all! this is why i purchased some XLR cables which then worked, just with added "hiss".

Right,

I took my mac into the studio and tested it with different monitors, and they worked fine. So obvoiously its the monitors? Wrong...Just to make sure it was the monitors before i packed them up and shipped them back to M Audio, i took them into the studio and tested them on the set up in there, and they worked fine!!!

Both work fine, but not together?! The set up in the studio is nearly the same as mine but only...well, better spec equipment.

I have no idea what it is, just the set up with the sound card, but all thats the same as the mac has in the studio, so im stumped.

Anyone have any ideas because this is slowly killing me!! :(

Yeah, used the same leads, worked fine. I think its just down to a dodgy sound card. maybe a connection loose or something, ive got intouch with M Audio to replace it. Might even just get a refund and get the Pro Tools 001...See if my bank manager will give me an increase on my overdraft first!!

Back