Low levels - could it be my crappy audio interface?

snoozeboy

Hello all

I'm using the following:
Behringer Xenyx 1202 mixing desk, connected to Reaper on a PC via a crappy icy box 3.5mm jack to USB adapter, as my laptop has no separate line in and headphone jacks (and my mixer no USB out).

I'm recording a Fender Strat electric guitar via a Mooer GE100 multi fx pedal (set to line out, to a non-preamped input on the mixer) and vocals via a Shure SM58 plugged into the Xenyx preamp via XLR.

I seem to have to turn up the levels quite high to register between -18 and -12 db for both guitar and vocals, which leads to noticable levels of noise.

Is my problem my crappy 3.5mm to USB adapter? Would a decent audio interface solve the problem or a mixer with a USB out?

Sorry for the noob question. I'm not doing recording seriously, just messing around, producing songs that are butchered by my friends and I. However, I'd like to work this problem out.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to get halfway decent results, go for either an audio interface, or a mixer with USB out. Getting an interface is probabloy a better option. You could go straight from your FX pedal into the interface.

Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry to followup question, but why would you say an interface is the better option?

I'll probably spend about 100usd on an interface, but I can replace by Xenyx with one with USB out and 2 extra preamp channels for usd120 ish. Did I specify that I'm doing this cheap?

I'd lean towards upgrading the mixer as an interface would add yet another plug to the overstretched electrical board. Going via the mixer rather than straight to interface doesn't bother me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen (about usd100) seems to be USB powered and has good reviews. Would it do a good enough job for my needs? Other option would be to flip my Xenyx 1002fx for a 1202fxusb at about usd120.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry to followup question, but why would you say an interface is the better option?

I'll probably spend about 100usd on an interface, but I can replace by Xenyx with one with USB out and 2 extra preamp channels for usd120 ish. Did I specify that I'm doing this cheap?

I'd lean towards upgrading the mixer as an interface would add yet another plug to the overstretched electrical board. Going via the mixer rather than straight to interface doesn't bother me.

Edit: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen (about usd100) seems to be USB powered and has good reviews. Would it do a good enough job for my needs? Other option would be to flip my Xenyx 1002fx for a 1202fxusb at about usd120.

I think the USB on the mixer is just a stereo channel. If you want to record tracks independently, get the interface.

The digital signal from the mixer is limited to stereo and 16-bit, last I checked. You'll get a better quality digital conversion (more bit-depth, better signal/noise, generally) with an interface. Unfortunately, entry, multi-channel audio interfaces are like hen's teeth right now because everyone wants one.

I see that Sweetwater has the Behringer UM2 *in stock*. It's a bare-bones idea like the F'rite Solo. You could do worse, and it's bus-powered (most USB interfaces with up to 2 mic/XLR inputs are).

Behringer U-Phoria UM2 USB Audio Interface | Sweetwater

Update:

So I bought the interface, a Focusrite Solo. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but it stacks nicely under my mixer and doesn't take too much space.

You were all right, there are some advantages...
- Lower latency, because it works with Asio
- Recording directly to the interface, rather than going through the mixer gives a much clearer sound and better levels.

However...
One thing I'm still stuck with, when I play back from Reaper the sound only comes out from the right speaker. It's been explained to me that the tracks that I'm recording are mono, but there are also stereo tracks from samples on the recording that I'd expect to come from both speakers. I'd also expect the mono tracks to be positioned centrally, not to the far right. Help anyone?

However...
One thing I'm still stuck with, when I play back from Reaper the sound only comes out from the right speaker. It's been explained to me that the tracks that I'm recording are mono, but there are also stereo tracks from samples on the recording that I'd expect to come from both speakers. I'd also expect the mono tracks to be positioned centrally, not to the far right. Help anyone?

First thing I'd check is cabling. How are you connecting your speakers?

If you're recording mono inputs to stereo tracks, you could end up with everything panned one way, though the stereo samples seem to argue against that.

thanks for your quick reply. I don't think it's a cabling issue as when I playback from other sources on my laptop, e.g. YouTube, the sound comes from both sides.

Edit: Fixed it.

I found this on the cockos forum, which fixed it:
Is it showing 'Output 1/Output 2' or 'Output 1/Channel 2'?

Options > Preferences > Audio > Device

Check that both outputs are enabled.

I'm so happy. It was driving me nuts.

thanks for your quick reply. I don't think it's a cabling issue as when I playback from other sources on my laptop, e.g. YouTube, the sound comes from both sides.

That's a helpful data point for troubleshooting. If general playback uses the Focusrite driver, then you've pretty much narrowed it down to Reaper.

One thing that would have the effect you're experiencing is the pan knob on the master channel. Make sure it's centered. I doubt you would have moved it, but it's something to check.

You bought a cheap, basic interface my friend. Yes, it has two inputs but one is JUST for microphones* and the other JUST for guitar.

DAWs record two tracks unless you tell them not to, so, "a" mic will go on the left, track one and "a" guitar on the right. (my son is forever sending me 'one lunged' recordings and he has the ,means NOT to!) I do try to put people off going that basic. There is a ta two mic ins Behringer for about that money.

Our fave DAW is Samplitude and you can set that up so that ONE input is recorded to both tracks, double mono and the result is a single sound smack bang in the middle. Maybe you can do that with other software I don't know but you can probably dupe the track in mixing.

*You could get a passive "DI" box and feed the guitar into the mic input AND the guitar input.

Dave.

DAWs record two tracks unless you tell them not to, so, "a" mic will go on the left, track one and "a" guitar on the right.

By definition a 'MONO' track is centered, unless one pans it to one side or the other - if you record to a 'STEREO' track, you will still need to set up the inputs in the DAW as 1 + 2 > L + R, which is why it makes more sense to set your DAW inputs on 2 tracks: input 1 (mic) > track 1, input 2 (guitar) > track 2). In Reaper the default is input 1 > MONO. Are there DAWs where the default is to a stereo track (even with one input)?

DAWs record two tracks unless you tell them not to, so, "a" mic will go on the left, track one and "a" guitar on the right. .

Some DAWs do. Reaper doesn't. A new track's default is to record a mono, centred, track using the channel 1 of the interface. You can, of course, change the default if you want.

Some DAWs do. Reaper doesn't. A new track's default is to record a mono, centred, track using the channel 1 of the interface. You can, of course, change the default if you want.

Right, did not know that, wiil give it a do the morrow.

Dave.

You bought a cheap, basic interface my friend. Yes, it has two inputs but one is JUST for microphones* and the other JUST for guitar.

You're right. I changed it for a Scarlett 4i4 this morning. It gives me auch more versatile set up.

The single channel issue wasn't due to the cheapness of the Scarlett Solo however. It was due to a problem with the settings in Reaper. It's all fixed now.

You're right. I changed it for a Scarlett 4i4 this morning. It gives me auch more versatile set up.

The single channel issue wasn't due to the cheapness of the Scarlett Solo however. It was due to a problem with the settings in Reaper. It's all fixed now.

No, I understand that the bog s price of the Solo was not the actual problem but I am on a bit of a mission to help MUSICAL people from wasting their time and money on such interfaces.

They have a place to be sure, podcasters and gamers need little more and the same logic applied to USB microphones but for the bod wanting to build tracks they are very limiting.

There are also much higher quality interfaces that have but one mic input but these have additional facilities such as ADAT expansion.

Have fun!

Dave.

Back