Looking to upgrade my home studio

Blue20Boy17

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I'm new here.

My current setup is as follows:
Presonus Studio One 3 Artist DAW
Presonus Audiobox 44VSL Mic Interface
4 Cobalt Co7 Cardioid Mics

I record stereo tracks, so at the moment, I can only record two people at once.

I am looking to upgrade to a more semi-pro type setup. I'd like to get some rack units of some kind, because I really like the feel of hardware more that using plugins and such. I was looking to get the Presonus Quantum 2626 Interface, since it has 8 inputs and can be expanded as well. I was also planning to get a 8-channel headphone amp, as well as the Behringer X-Touch Universal Control Surface.

What mics should I get?

What rack units should I also get for mixing purposes? I play bluegrass, and would like to gain a quality of sound similar to that achieved by the Lonesome River Band, Joe Mullins, The Del McCoury Band, etc.

My budget is approximately $3000, but I could go over that a little.

Any other suggestions about things I've already picked out are welcome.

Some thoughts:

Presonus Quantum = good choice
Headphone amp = worthwhile investment
X-touch = yes, if you want to move faders.

Rack gear = shiney lights and knobs to twiddle. The issue with these is that if you record stuff with assorted effects, you can't undo later. Most effects in DAWs will replicate what outboard gear will do, and you can always change your mind.

Every person will recommend their own mic preference, which won't help you a lot. It's also difficult without knowing what their job is. However, maybe start off with a couple of LDCs and a couple of SDCs, and maybe a couple of dynamic mics. You can't go too far wrong with Rode, so NT1 x 2 (the new NT1), NT5 or NT55 x 2, and maybe Shure SM57 x 2. Others will suggest differently.

As for getting quality similar to Lonesome River Band, Joe Mullins, The Del McCoury and so on, you would need to look at more than just the gear. They will have been recorded, mixed and mastered in well-equipped and properly designed studios.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I'm new here.

My current setup is as follows:
Presonus Studio One 3 Artist DAW
Presonus Audiobox 44VSL Mic Interface
4 Cobalt Co7 Cardioid Mics

I record stereo tracks, so at the moment, I can only record two people at once.

I am looking to upgrade to a more semi-pro type setup. I'd like to get some rack units of some kind, because I really like the feel of hardware more that using plugins and such. I was looking to get the Presonus Quantum 2626 Interface, since it has 8 inputs and can be expanded as well. I was also planning to get a 8-channel headphone amp, as well as the Behringer X-Touch Universal Control Surface.

What mics should I get?

What rack units should I also get for mixing purposes? I play bluegrass, and would like to gain a quality of sound similar to that achieved by the Lonesome River Band, Joe Mullins, The Del McCoury Band, etc.

My budget is approximately $3000, but I could go over that a little.

Any other suggestions about things I've already picked out are welcome.

what tracks are you recording in stereo and why? And why the need for rack gear? I am a old analog FOH guy who loves rack gear but in the recording world its a waste of money. The majority of tracks can be mono, maybe a stereo keyboard or guitar, but things such as drums, bass, and vocals, and most guitars are mono.

Last question: what is your tracking room (and mixing room) like? You can spend all the money in the world on great mics and rack gear, but if you are recording lousy sound (from the room), none of that great new gear will net you much improvement.

Last question: what is your tracking room (and mixing room) like? You can spend all the money in the world on great mics and rack gear, but if you are recording lousy sound (from the room), none of that great new gear will net you much improvement.

+1.I see no mention of monitors in that list? $3000 will get you a pair of good ones (I am lusting for PMC Result Sixes...one day, one day) Some say you can do great mixes on very good headphones (they will knock you $1000ish mind) even master on them? Many others say "not really". Whatever, how do your clients sat in the control room get the full and accurate sound? $500 per lug?

"Can only record two people with two tracks" ??! You can record the Boston Pops with two mics in stereo!

I also agree about outboard gear. Use it going in and stuff is cast in stone. Yes, can be used post tracking but then you are into some complex send and returns ***t and you would REALLY need a patch bay, sheds of cables...Mounts up the $$$ don't it? In any case $3k only gets you a great compressor and maybe a top line preamp.

Mics? As said, personal but the Rode M5tf SDC has gained a good rep. Then there's yer room(s) !

Dave.

As said, personal but the Rode M5tf SDC has gained a good rep.

I'm not sure what you meant by "M5tf"

There is the Rode M5 which is one I haven't tried.
I have a couple of pairs of the Rode NT5, which have been dependable workhorses.
I also have a pair of the (relatively) new Rode TF5, and they are delicious (if we can apply that word to mikes)

I'm not sure what you meant by "M5tf"

There is the Rode M5 which is one I haven't tried.
I have a couple of pairs of the Rode NT5, which have been dependable workhorses.
I also have a pair of the (relatively) new Rode TF5, and they are delicious (if we can apply that word to mikes)

Ok Mr G So my old, meds ridden memory is shot! Yes, I meant the TF5 (Tony Faulkner) but I am told the ACTUAL M5s are not too foul either?

Peace to all.

Dave.

Back