Looking to record on my Clavinova CLP-110

magn5832

Hello,

I own a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-110 and I really enjoy playing it. Besides that, I produce music on my computer and therefore I would really want to record my audio on my Clavinova on to my computer. Audio NOT MIDI. I own an audio interface called "Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd gen)" and my Yamaha Clavinova CLP-110 seems to have the following sockets:

MIDI (IN/OUT/THRU)
Jackstick (labbeled "pedal damper")
2 x jackstick (labbeled "phones")

What should I buy to be able to record the audio on my Claviano? And is it even possible?
And again; I'm not looking to record the MIDI inputs, only the audio
Thanks you in advance :thumbs up:

I reckon you could connect your CLP-110 "Phones" jack to your interface using the proper instrument line cord. Does the "Phones" jack require 3.5mm or 1/4" (6.35mm) headphone connector? If it's 1/4" it's probably got TRS connections so buy an instrument cord with TRS tips on both ends. If it's 3.5mm, buy the same instrument cord AND get an adapter to reduce one tip to fit your "Phones" jack. I think that's correct...

Make sure you set your interface to the correct input setting. User's manual will tell you.

Thanks for answering :)

The phone jacks has a 1/4 (6,35mm) connecter, yes. If I but the instrument cord as you suggested will it record mono or stereo then? I really want it to be stereo of cause.

It gets a bit foggy here.. you say your Clavinola has 2 x "Phones" jacks. If each is an independant output so 2 people can monitor simultaneously in stereo, then either/both will feed your interface a stereo signal.

Then there's the possibility (not likely) that one is Left and the other is Right and one of those will be stereo out and the other will be mono only. Just use the stereo side.

Then there's a very small possibility the "Phones" jacks are mono Left and mono Right. Then, to get stereo to your interface, you'll need a Y-cable with 2 mono (TS tipped) plugs to go into your "Phones" jacks on the one end, and a single stereo (TRS tipped) plug to go into your interface on the other end.

What I'm really not sure about is.. once the stereo signal gets to your interface, will it be combined into a mono feed to your recording software..? Even though it's coming in as stereo to your interface, the connections on the stereo jack going into it may only connect to the mono connections inside the interface.

Assuming each "Phones" jack is stereo, just buy a short line cord with a TRS plug on each end and connect your Clavinova to your interface - see what you get, sound-wise. Prices start around $10 and up.

Last edited:
It gets a bit foggy here.. you say your Clavinola has 2 x "Phones" jacks. If each is an independant output so 2 people can monitor simultaneously in stereo, then either/both will feed your interface a stereo signal.

Then there's the possibility (not likely) that one is Left and the other is Right and one of those will be stereo out and the other will be mono only. Just use the stereo side.

Then there's a very small possibility the "Phones" jacks are mono Left and mono Right. Then, to get stereo to your interface, you'll need a Y-cable with 2 mono (TS tipped) plugs to go into your "Phones" jacks on the one end, and a single stereo (TRS tipped) plug to go into your interface on the other end.

What I'm really not sure about is.. once the stereo signal gets to your interface, will it be combined into a mono feed to your recording software..? Even though it's coming in as stereo to your interface, the connections on the stereo jack going into it may only connect to the mono connections inside the interface.

Assuming each "Phones" jack is stereo, just buy a short line cord with a TRS plug on each end and connect your Clavinova to your interface - see what you get, sound-wise. Prices start around $10 and up.

Hello,

I think the two jacks is independant stereo yes. I use one of them for my headphones, which clearly outputs stereo sound. Therefore, I think i need to buy the TRS plug split into two mono plugs, as "ecc83" is suggesting. The next thing I'm wondering is how good the sound queality will be?

Thanks again.

A lot of people fall into this connection trap, that of taking a stereo* feed and plugging it into a balanced line input, the result is next to no signal.
What is needed is a stereo TRS plug to TWO mono TS plugs then you will get both channels into the Focusrite.

*I shall assume the two jacks are simply stereo duplications, anything else would be daft.

MainCore 2m Long 6.35mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 x Twin: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Dave.

Hello ecc83

Thanks for helping me out!

Yes, I'm quite sure that the phones jack are stereo duplikcations outputs as I am able to use one of them for my headphones, which clearly outputs stereo sound. Therefore, I will try and buy the cable you suggested. But how good will the sound quality be? I know it depends on what cable I am buying, but do you think it will be usable for music production?

Again, thanks alot.

Hello ecc83

Thanks for helping me out!

Yes, I'm quite sure that the phones jack are stereo duplikcations outputs as I am able to use one of them for my headphones, which clearly outputs stereo sound. Therefore, I will try and buy the cable you suggested. But how good will the sound quality be? I know it depends on what cable I am buying, but do you think it will be usable for music production?

Again, thanks alot.

There will be no loss of quality with even the cheapest of cables, especially since you are coming out of a headphone jack which is at good level, 0.5 volts or so and at a very low impedance. You could probably get away with three lengths of bell wire!

There is just one problem that might occur, a hum (aka, ground,aka earth) loop but that depends upon how the rest of the system is rigged. If you DO get a hum, don't worry! No smoke will ensue and such problems are almost always fixable.

Dave.

The clavinova headphone output is a regular stereo 1/4" socket. There's two of them - You'd use one.
To record to your computer in stereo you'd want a 1/4" stereo to 2X1/4" mono cable, and you'd connect the pair of mono ends to inputs 1+2 on the focusrite, setting the line/isnt switches to line.

The cable ends look like this.

cable.jpg

I have a higher model Yamaha CLP with dedicated line outputs and find they do sound quite a bit better than going from headphone output.
Although you said you don't want to use midi, you might find it's a better option in the long term if you have a decent sounding piano virtual instrument.

The clavinova headphone output is a regular stereo 1/4" socket. There's two of them - You'd use one.
To record to your computer in stereo you'd want a 1/4" stereo to 2X1/4" mono cable, and you'd connect the pair of mono ends to inputs 1+2 on the focusrite, setting the line/isnt switches to line.

The cable ends look like this.

View attachment 107308

I have a higher model Yamaha CLP with dedicated line outputs and find they do sound quite a bit better than going from headphone output.
Although you said you don't want to use midi, you might find it's a better option in the long term if you have a decent sounding piano virtual instrument.

Yes, my point about "no loss of quality" was based on the assumption that Yamaha had fitted decent headphone amplifiers, there is no technical reason why such amps should be inferior to a line signal. I cannot be held responsible for firms fitting rubbish amps!

Dave.

I'm just answering the OP from first hand experience, Dave.
The line outs on my model may sound better than the headphone output, when recorded, but that doesn't challenge anything you said.
Cable type/length/quality certainly isn't going to matter within reasonable limits.

I'm just answering the OP from first hand experience, Dave.
The line outs on my model may sound better than the headphone output, when recorded, but that doesn't challenge anything you said.
Cable type/length/quality certainly isn't going to matter within reasonable limits.

Yeah, I know, just putting me oar in!

Dave.

Back