Looking for a realistic orchestral sound

PsychoticTurtle

I'm currently writing orchestral scores for a friend of mine to use in a project but am stuck in one area. I am having troubles finding a good program that can emulate an orchestra's sound as closely as possible. Does anybody know of a good solid program that can do that for me?

P.S. I am not looking for a MIDI program such as Cakewalk or Finale.

You want a full orchestra as in ....? & not midi?
Or do you want sep instrument files?
Or do you want blocks of instruments as in strings?
Or perhaps the world?
Try the synth section.
You'll be in for a fair bit of money.

You want a full orchestra as in ....? & not midi?
Or do you want sep instrument files?
Or do you want blocks of instruments as in strings?
Or perhaps the world?
Try the synth section.
You'll be in for a fair bit of money.

Anything with a wide range of instruments that could accurately replicate an orchestra.

You'll probably have to download loops, prferably acidized. You can get strings, horns, etc in any key you want.

For the free stuff (often questionable quality but some gems) go to soundsnap.com. You can get some really good hits and one-note samples. I use soundsnap for gongs, bells, etc. I have a Chinese-style rock song that uses a lot of gongs and other Chinese stringed instruments. They sound great.

There's a website called Drumsondemand.com that has loops of various horns, such as trumpets, tubas, clarinets, etc. They might have some strings.

Go to musiciansfriend.com and click on recording and then click on software instruments. You'll get some examples of orchestras, etc. that you can buy. You can even manipulate pitch, a little, without distorting it.

Good luck. It aint easy.

If you want it to sound like an orchestra, you need at least a real sampled orchestra:

http://www.soundsonline.com/Advanced-Orchestra-SET-GIGA-pr-BS-228_V1-5.html

This is to be used with Tascam's Giga software; there are others as well.

Look for Garritan or East-West for more orchestral packages.
If you want to go whole hog and then some, the Vienna Symphony Orchestra package is considered the Holy Grail; it keeps getting upgraded too:

http://www.mathesonbayley.com/article_vsl.php

So, a range from $200 up to....well..:D

But it's real instruments.

Best,
C.

Back