Looking for Good but cheap DAW's

mattredstone

Hi Guys,

I'm using Audacity. It's not bad for a free download, but I need something a little better.

I'm looking for a DAW for my laptop that has on-the-fly mixing and/or mix automation. I also wouldn't mind good pitch shifting that does NOT sound like auto-tune.

DOn't need pre-made beats or virtual instruments, just recording, mixing, editing.

Not looking to spend $600 or join a monthly subscription. Need something kind of inexpensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reaper, Reaper, and more Reaper. Free to try, cheap to buy (i think the license is $60 for 2 full version updates)

Tracktion 5 is a freebie. I have yet to try it myself, but will soon. It gets lots of love.

If you don't need to use 3rd party VST or VSTi plugins (which, c'mon, we all need) you can try Studio One Prime or Pro Tools First for free.

I spent $100 on Cubase (bundled with an interface) and while the learning curve seemed outrageous to me at first, it turned out to be a lot of bang for my buck in the long haul.

Get Reaper and be done with it. You won't find a more full featured DAW for less money. I have both Reaper and Protools 10. I prefer PT (because I'm used to the workflow), But there's nothing that PT can do that Reaper can't.........and for a hell of a lot less money.

With some DAWs you can get creative in buying an affordable upgrade path. For example with Sonar I bought an older version (but new retail, sealed in the box) for cheap off eBay then paid the relatively low price to upgrade it to the latest version.

Sampltude Music Studio

I agree (!??) but probably because 'son' and I were brought up on MAGIX Studio Gen 6 and Samplitude is a fully featured development of that but operationally very similar.
You can download the full fat Samplitude Pro X (3 now?) and give that a do for a month and if you like it, and 8 tracks at a time will suffice, download the totally free Samplitude Pro X Silver.

But yes, it has to be said. Reaper is excellent and very cheap, it is also so widely used now that there is lots of support for it on't web.

Dave.

I'm lucky to be able to use one of those monthly subscription DAWs but, if that ever ceases to be possible, Reaper is the way I'd go.

As others have said, you can download the full version and try it as long as you like--and if it becomes your choice it's only $60 or $70 dollars to buy.

As many have said, Reaper is the obvious choice. You could also pick up a copy of Ableton Lite or Studio One Artist on KVR if for any reason you don't gel with Reaper.

OP seems to have left us but the thought occurs that he did not mention an AI? A goodly many come with Cubase A1 and an upgrade path.

Dave.

Back