Live streaming video game play with AT2020XLR

DoezerGaming

Hello All!

I've recently taken an interest in live streaming game play on twitch.tv. I'm in the process of putting together a streaming studio but have a few questions. I'm not a musician so i have no need for more than one mic or anything like that. I've recently purchased an AT2020 from AMAZON at a damn good price. I though i was purchasing the USB version but it turns out it was an XLR hookup. Upon further research I've decided to use a mixer to control it during my live streams. I have not purchased the mixer yet but have my eyes on a decent one (Behringer XENYX 1202FX Premium 12-Input 2-Bus Mixer). I was watching a live gaming web cast tonight and they mentioned that they did not like XLR mics for live streaming due to it only outputs in one ear. Either the left or right. Not both. My question is, is this something that a mixer would solve by adjusting the "Pan" option? And if not, is there anything i can do to solve this issue. Remember, I'm not recording, this will all be LIVE.

Thanks for your time!

Hello All!

I've recently taken an interest in live streaming game play on twitch.tv. I'm in the process of putting together a streaming studio but have a few questions. I'm not a musician so i have no need for more than one mic or anything like that. I've recently purchased an AT2020 from AMAZON at a damn good price. I though i was purchasing the USB version but it turns out it was an XLR hookup. Upon further research I've decided to use a mixer to control it during my live streams. I have not purchased the mixer yet but have my eyes on a decent one (Behringer XENYX 1202FX Premium 12-Input 2-Bus Mixer). I was watching a live gaming web cast tonight and they mentioned that they did not like XLR mics for live streaming due to it only outputs in one ear. Either the left or right. Not both. My question is, is this something that a mixer would solve by adjusting the "Pan" option? And if not, is there anything i can do to solve this issue. Remember, I'm not recording, this will all be LIVE.

Thanks for your time!

First of all, mixers are for live situations ( not on computer, to the speakers, like performances ).
If you want to do live streaming with the XLR version of AT2020, then get an Audio Interface, like the Steinberg Cl1.

Second of all, XLR mics have only one output, so that means that its mono, but if you stream it out in mono format, it WILL play on both the ears, just that both ears' sound will be the same.

Edit:
P.S: If you want a sample of the XLR AT2020 with the Steinberg CL1, i can send you a track personally.

First of all, mixers are for live situations ( not on computer, to the speakers, like performances ). If you want to do live streaming with the XLR version of AT2020, then get an Audio Interface, like the Steinberg Cl1. Second of all, XLR mics have only one output, so that means that its mono, but if you stream it out in mono format, it WILL play on both the ears, just that both ears' sound will be the same.

Edit:
P.S: If you want a sample of the XLR AT2020 with the Steinberg CL1, i can send you a track personally.

Thanks for responding. I've just checked my streaming software (OBS) and i do see an option titled (Force Microphone/Auxiliary to Mono). I'm guessing that's the option you're referring to. Also I searched the Steinberg CL1 on AMAZON. While doing that, I saw the Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp and USB/Audio Interface for a decent price. This seems to be a hybrid of both. Thoughts?

Thanks for responding. I've just checked my streaming software (OBS) and i do see an option titled (Force Microphone/Auxiliary to Mono). I'm guessing that's the option you're referring to. Also I searched the Steinberg CL1 on AMAZON. While doing that, I saw the Behringer 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamp and USB/Audio Interface for a decent price. This seems to be a hybrid of both. Thoughts?

Audio Interfaces that costs less than $125 ( I'd say around there, if not, higher. ) is not worth it as the sound that you're getting is just pure crap. Besides, if you're using the AT2020, you might want to consider the Samson SP01 as a shockmount.

I could be wrong, but are you going to a whole lot of trouble for nothing?

I'd be REAL surprised if they spend much bandwidth on streaming audio in games.
You might get just as good an audio feed with a gaming headset.

I could be wrong, but are you going to a whole lot of trouble for nothing?

I'd be REAL surprised if they spend much bandwidth on streaming audio in games.
You might get just as good an audio feed with a gaming headset.

Audio quality is a pretty big deal on Twitch. Gaming headset mic quality is pretty bad. Do you have any suggestions?

Audio quality is a pretty big deal on Twitch. Gaming headset mic quality is pretty bad. Do you have any suggestions?

Read my comment above if you would still like to continue advancing in getting a full set of audio stuff. Audio DOES matter, just that sometimes it depends whether the audience appreciate it or not.

Back