Live Streaming my band on Youtube, How to do it??

TheComposer

Hello, I've had this idea of live streaming shows with my band so we can reach EVERYBODY.

I have no idea how to do it.

I have a Tascam 1800 interface.
All the mics for the drums and vocals.
Guitar and Bass go direct into the interface

Then that's about it, what should I do to even try to achieve this?

Feel free to move this post to the right place!

:guitar:

Yeah, youtube is not for livestreaming.
Assuming you want video, you'll need a video camera, too, and software that will combine your mixed sound and the video to send out to Ustream.

Nice, I'll check Ustream.

I'm kind of more interested in youtube since I have videos there and would like that people who come by watch other stuff as well.

I forgot to say, I have a Nikon D5100 camera.

I use Wirecast to stream live to YouTube all the time.

I run it on my Windows 7 laptop connected to my Tascam US1641, but it only sees the inputs that Windows sees, so only Mic 1 and 2. It also uses most of the 2.3G Dual Core even to stream 240p. Between those two things it means that I run all the audio and mix on my studio machine and run line level audio via TRS>XLR from one interface to another.

There are probably ways to patch the output of Reaper to the input of Witecast, and my studio machine 3.6G dual core) might do the whole thing, but it's XP... Either way, I think it's better to use two separate machines.

Edit - BTW, YouTube actually is the right place to stream your video. The other popular places will force your viewers to create an account (who the fuck has a ustream account?) and log in if the want to actually watch your stream. I find out that if you just let it sit there asking you to log in, you can still hear the stream, you just can't really see the video. On YouTube everybody can watch for free, and if you're a bastard like me, you can even monetize it with ads and make a couple pennies in the process.

But the big reason to stream directly to YouTube is like the OP said, it shows up on your existing YouTube channel and the video is automatically added as an uploaded video when the live stream is over. I could not find a good way to get a video from ustream to YouTube. IDK if their paid service makes it possible, but on YouTube it's just free and just works.

Last edited:
I'm 98.6% positive that there is some application out there that will let you route your DAW output to the Windows Sound Mapper thing so that you can use it as an input in Wirecast, but I didn't really look for it because it won't fix the fact of it idling at 60% CPU with spikes up to 80%... It would be nice if I could use the spdif connection, or at least a real line input so I don't have to fight with those fiddly fricking gain knobs... If you find a solution for that, please LMK.

How does it work on the youtube interface side - does Wirecast do all that part? Does the video get 'saved' on you tube for replay?

It's pretty straightforward. There's a little bit of back and forth getting it up and running, but it's not much of a hassle, really. And yes, like I said, the "Live Event" automatically becomes an "Uploaded Video" just like any other on your channel. That's one of the most important parts of the whole thing. It does require that your YouTube channel be "in good standing" in order to live stream at all, but idk what that means.

Honestly, I think if you go to create a live event at YouTube it walks you through step by step, and one of the steps is like "download and install Wirecast if you haven't already..." Just give it a shot if you have a couple minutes. You don't have to invite anybody to watch your live test stream (could if you want...) and you can delete it right away.

Back