A little help please regarding midi interface

Dark Light923

Hi. I am told that you need a midi interface for music production. The audio interface I will be buying is the Roland Rubix 44. Do I need a midi interface as well? Seeing that it is an audio interface and not a midi interface? Also, what is the difference between the two? I will need to connect my stage piano/synthesizer and electric guitar with the software. Thanks.

---------- Update ----------

You can find more about the Roland Rubix 44 here: https://www.roland.com/global/products/rubix44/

You may or may not need a midi interface for music production. Some keyboards send midi via USB rather than an interface.

The Rubix provides an interface for audio and midi, so it will be fine for what you need.

An audio interface converts an audio signal into a digital format that the computer can work with, and does the reverse, i.e. convcerting difgital to audio so that you can hear it. It replaces the on-board sound of your computer.

A midi interface passes midi data (most usually from a keyboard) into the computer and back out again.

I've just redone my studio, and I have two 8x8 MIDI interfaces. In my new setup, they have nothing to do at all! All my favourite devices now connect via USB. I've got them just in case I want one of the ancient keyboards or modules to work - but as I have VSTi versions of these now, it's doubtful.I've also got a big bin of unused MIDI cables too!

However - the Rubix has MIDI sockets on the rear - so if you need them, you have them anyway.

Back