Listening to music

Now that I'm getting started in recording I'm really paying much more attention to everything I listen to. most of the time I'm listening through some cheesy computer speakers or my ipod through the stereo in the car where everything just seems squashed. After spending time in a couple of different studios with decent monitors its become clear to me just how much I'm missing due to sub standard audio equipment. My next purchase is going to be a set of decent monitors for my computer at home and some room treatment.

how do you get your music? mp3, CD or is there another way to get quality audio? the mp3 just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I want to hear all of it. it there a better format to use for the ipod?

Great now I'm gonna have to dump big $$$ into a system for the car LOL! It just seems crazy to have all that work go into a mix and then listen to it as an mp3. there has to be a better way.

Sound environment in a car aint good, unless it's a Rolls Royce, I'd stick with what you got there, get a nicer system for your studio and/or home environment. Unless you live in your car then you can disregard. I just use the system that came with my car, it has a CD, not great, but for tunes for driving to work it'll do. My home system is a mix of Harmon/Kardon, Sony, Bose, Yamaha, and Boston Acoustics. It does the job well.

No, you're stuck with MP3 on an iPod.

Actually, no. The iPod is nothing more than a hard drive with a bad D/A converter for the headphones. If you rip your own stuff, you can load AAC or AIFF for sure (I've done this) but it takes up more room on the drive than do MP3s. Wadia makes a cool interface box for the iPod (see it at Music Direct) that takes the signal from the digital port, not the headphone amp, and sends it to a D/A converter of your choice. The combo, with an iPod Classic or two, is a very nice dual purpose, high end music server.

Not quite as convenient or as good sounding as a real vinyl record on a good turntable, mind you...:D

To reply to the original question, I've been listening since my teenage years. Paid for college by working radio and "collected" a lot of records during that time of my life. I've been buying them since, added CDs after their sound quality improved, really like SACDs and some audiophile re-releases on vinyl.

I listen on a system that would be expensive if bought all at once, but it's been evolving - and will continue to do so - over the past 30 some odd years. Recorded music has just been a large part of my life. This is a passion. One reason I'm getting into recording again is that I'm interested in creating new - or archiving old - music for me to listen to. I'm tired of the traditional marketing channels for the software.

Chances are, unless you are in some high-end Mercedes, BWM or limo, the inherent car noise (tires/road, engine, wind, etc.) will diminish any real need for super fidelity.

I usually buy vinyl (most people don't realize most bands still release vinyl, as long as its not like a top 40 artist), but for mobile listening I download at least 320kbps or flac. Perhaps I don't have as trained an ear as most, but I think you can create a pleasing an accurate listening space for a reasonable price.
-nocarsgo

Back