Linking two interfaces to get more inputs...

Sgreenland1

Hey,

So recently I had to record some drums for a demo and whilst researching online found that with ASIO4ALL you can have two seperate interfaces hooked up and record inputs from both simultaneously! And while it was a little glitchy and latency was a bit out - I just stopped routing the recording channels to the master (drums are loud enough to have no foldback) it worked pretty well!

Saved me spending a bunch on an ADAT multi-channel pre-amp!

But I will be getting one soon so any mid-price range ones to recommend please do!

So yeah just a tip I suppose that if you ever need more inputs and you have an old interface - or your friend has one, you can use both at the same time!

Anyone else do this before?

Sam

Interesting. I had no idea you could aggregate devices in Windows like OS X. I mean, it does appear as a single device in the DAW, or is it somehow DAW dependent?

FWIW, the Behringer ADA8200 is about $200, maybe less if you have a coupon or haggle with the right online e-tailer. So, IMO, it's not "a bunch" in the big picture, and if you've already got an interface with optical inputs to support one (i.e., ADAT 8x mic pres), and planning to record a long time or a lot, it's going to be a better solution, and save some potential aggravation.

I have done this with Samplitude SE8. Unlike many DAWs you can setup a number of tracks from different input devices. In my case it was two from a 2496 PCI card and two from USB, a Behringer BCA2000. I could only do this with MME drivers iirc and each track had to OUTPUT to the same device that was input. This did not matter as all we were trying to do was get 4 tracks down from a Teac A 3440, once grabbed and saved they would play back through the 2496 (or BCA had we wanted that) as the stereo mix we wanted.

Yes, in theory there must have been some drift but for the 3 or minute songs, no matter. I do recall the BCA tracks would start a mS or so before the 2496 but Samplitude allows you to slide tracks to sample accuracy.

Happy days!

Dave.

Interesting. I had no idea you could aggregate devices in Windows like OS X. I mean, it does appear as a single device in the DAW, or is it somehow DAW dependent?

FWIW, the Behringer ADA8200 is about $200, maybe less if you have a coupon or haggle with the right online e-tailer. So, IMO, it's not "a bunch" in the big picture, and if you've already got an interface with optical inputs to support one (i.e., ADAT 8x mic pres), and planning to record a long time or a lot, it's going to be a better solution, and save some potential aggravation.

I'm not certain about other DAWS but in FL studio you can set up different mixer channels to record from a different device. It was a nice solution when I had no other choice but I wouldn't say it was optimal for sure!

I'm looking at getting the ART tubeopto 8 as a permanent solution, seems to be pretty highly regarded for the price and hopefully will add some nice warmth/coloration for recording vocals etc.

Back