Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Like the sound from the PA but not in the box

Thanks

Like the sound from the PA but not in the box

Sign in to disable this ad
    My equipment sounds good. I prefer how it sounds energized. Looking to find tips on getting a better amplified sound.

Thanks
    I'm not sure what you mean? Listening to a singer/player/band in a venue sounds good, but recordingt he desk output doesn't or do you mean the same band in the studios sounds worse?

Can you explain the circumstances?

Thanks
    Hello.

I use physical equipment. However..

The VG-99 goes direct USB with Rolands ASIO. That is in the box. No sound recorded from speakers. Reaper is the DAW . There is a 6i6 somewhere.

I am familiar with gates, compressors, filter banks, and all the gear. Not many VST's or plugins. Vst's for me would be in the box.

Need help making it all work. All I do is cuts with powerful EQ's. It needs to sound the same from music player to player.having trouble with that. Ill post a quick loop to show yall where I am recording my own music.

Is 9.7 ms of latency bad? in the corner of Reaper it says, 9.7/9.7 ms 96/24
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Wow - still a bit tricky to understand your issue. `your guitar processor connects to the computer, which I guess is 'the box' - not s term we use that much in the UK.

"Better amplified sound?" You mean you want it to sound like it's come out of a guitar cab? That I get. In all honesty, simulating the subtle effects of an actual loudspeaker cone in a box mean that the real solutions are probably mainly EQ based with perhaps a touch of compression, and maybe very subtle distortion. More than that is processing as an effect, and your VG has more adjustment of these than trying to do it in the computer. After all, all the work done by the processor to reproduce individual amps and guitars is more sophisticated that normal eq. I'm guessing but I suspect that to you, it just doesn't sound like it does used live? So it's your stage amp, or the DI'd sound getting to your ears with the room sound imprinted onto it. A bit of delay, a bit of reverb, a simulation of spill?

Can you give us a run down on what the problem is you want to solve - it's still not very clear. It sounds to my ears just a bit thin. Maybe your eq is just to savage for the clean sound, leaving it thin with no body. It's also very dry, so something to make it sound like it's in a space and not just a dead DI would help?

Latency of under 10mS is usually OK. Mines 8.9 and I can work happily with that and it doesn't bother me. It's the equivalent of having your amp 8 feet or so away from you.

Thanks
    It sounds like a very dry fizzy sound from the guitar. When you listen to a guitar played through an amp, you get a sound which is shaped by the characteristics of the cabinet, has travelled a couple of metres to get to you, and is coupled with a variety of reflections from the room in which you play. To get that from the VG -99 you have to add these back into the raw sound. I expect that the VG-99 has a variety of other effects that will allow you to do this, e.g. cabinet model, reverbs, and so on. You need to experiment with these.

Thanks
    Yes, easy. In the box no amp speakers. Energized is amplified through the speakers.

I play presets that should just rip. And yeah , they sound thin.

This is all in the box. No sound is recorded.

Here is another quick loopy jam. Trying for a sailing lead. GK Oct Sythn vg99 preset. These are just the presets. So I fill it with 4 layers of chords. Still thin. No power. Live from the stack it will cut you in half. I even threw in space sounds and white noise..talk about whats left the kitchen sink?

Both -12 db target on the meter . From these two examples what is one thing I should concentrate on?
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 11-19-2019 at 17:49.

Thanks
    Yall know what a VP-9000 is? Makes perfect backing vocals.

Sm58 1/4 inched to the VP. Select robot voice, and chose the spots for the breaks. Keyboard tone is inserted for the voice. It should sound amazing. It does live off the PA.

Voice sampled and stretched to sound awesome. But still fails...thin. thin thin thin.

Thanks
    Sorry, I'm out I just don't understand the questions here and the jargon goes over my head.

Thanks
    Rob, I find that the digital recording path makes everything sound thin. Whether that the 6i6 , or a USB ASIO direct connection. Incredibly detailed but thin.

Looking for a suggestion for what it sounds like is missing. My conclusion is a tape head. I stay open for suggestions.

Cabinet sims are great in the VG-99. However it gets diminished in the DAW. I agree it sounds like there is no room.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 11-20-2019 at 10:59.

Thanks
    If you have a [Focusrite] 6i6, have you tried using any of the analog (vs. USB) outputs from the VG-99 into that to see if you get a better recording? E.g., 1) take the guitar output (1/4" unbalanced) into a 1/4" input and set it to INST. Or, 2) take the the MAIN (XLR balanced) outputs into inputs 3/4 on the back of the 6i6 (XLR to 1/4" TRS/balanced cable). Or, 2) use mic cables and go to the 1/2 XLR inputs on the front with the PAD switch on, INST off - according to F'rite manual, you have to use their MixControl software to enable the PAD on those inputs.

You would still need to add in an amp SIM or cab IR in your DAW, as suggested.

P.S. Maybe use that 6i6 and stick a mic in front of your amp and post a recording of the sound you are trying to achieve by going direct?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thread Information