Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Like the sound from the PA but not in the box

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Wow that is lighter and fluffy. I am jealous.

I should break out my big daddy swiss army knife the 414..That has a dynamic range above 144. Try to take advantage of this 6i6.

Here is a jazzy rip off the DAW I added red 2 4 band EQ -4 -2 +4 +4, Red 3 compressor 4:1 taking 5bd off. Same mics as last night. The VSTs make it sound worse. So I put the dry no VSTS up too.

Can anybody Vouch for the Focusrite VST that come with thie product line?

HIgher target peaks to try and sound full and big. Watch out. It is starting to sound amplified.

MJB there is no distortion cause I was kinda problem solving. I want it clean so I hear if there is any kind of pinch or cut or breaknup. My ole' ADA MP-1 is plenty capable to handle the dirty side.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 11-21-2019 at 18:33.

Thanks
    Thinking about how I would like to integrate my rack stuff to the 6i6. I went to use a LDC and SM58 together guess what? The 6i6 has a ganged phantom power system. It applies the 48v to both sides. Man, problem after problem.

The Gen1 6i6 was $100 off reverb. Probably does not have the best preamps. I have invested in rack equipment.

Would a TB12 or Aphex 107 or RNP 8030 sound better? In the 6i6. Even the Mackie 16 channel mixer has preamps on each channel. Supposedly.

I am 45 been playing music almost 4 decades. Been in studios, I wanna do it myself.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 11-22-2019 at 05:03.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerBeakShiek View Post
    Thinking about how I would like to integrate my rack stuff to the 6i6. I went to use a LDC and SM58 together guess what? The 6i6 has a ganged phantom power system. It applies the 48v to both sides. Man, problem after problem.
    Hi,
    That's no problem. The sm58 will happily 'ignore' phantom power.
    It's good practice to avoid plugging in/out whilst phantom is engaged but other than that just work away.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    An update, I feel there is progress. You tell me. The sound has improved with more volume with the addition of phantom power. In earlier post Rich suggested adding a direct also. There are 2 which one is better? 2nd one has no compression and -6 .

This is +48 LDC cabinet and direct, with a VF-1 really bad fake spring reverb. There are some nice vibrations and reverberations I am finding moving the mic around. I want pure tone. The search continues..
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 11-25-2019 at 14:40.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Latency of under 10mS is usually OK. Mines 8.9 and I can work happily with that and it doesn't bother me. It's the equivalent of having your amp 8 feet or so away from you.
    Back to latency. In Reaper the upper corner states about 9 ms.

On a careful listen all the instruments are not in time. This is the 9 ms of latency. How do I record with 0 latency?

2 short clips to illustrate the problem. Same riff. Careful on playing I was tapping the mic for a percussion section. Should NOT be too loud.

The second clip is nudged 9 ms. Sounds to me to be more in time...

Thanks
    Reaper automatically compensates for latency. Check to see if you have that feature turned off.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Digital systems have latency - if it's below around ten,a few people will notice but pressing a key on a piano VSTi at 9ms is not perceived by most as a delay between key press and sound. get to 15ms and there starts to be a proper delay, and it's terrible to work with. Zero never happens because of how digital audio works, Complete data words get generated, moved around then decoded. That takes time. It is normal. Get it down to single figures and all is good.

Neither sound in time to me. Made worse by the inherent problems of banging a mic. You don't reallly have a percussive sound, so the start of each hit is blurred to a degree. If yiu use your nails, does it get better? Probably not good because of the unsuitability of using a mic as a drum.

Thanks
    Lets talk quantization. So I rap out some midi hits for beats. Load the sample from the mic. Tap it into reaper. Then I double click the work flow, and turn on quantization.

Its looped , and requantized, how can it not be in time..?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Probably not good because of the unsuitability of using a mic as a drum.
    The SM58 is a hammer. I am told one can bang nails into wood with it.

Reaper has a 0 lat for monitor playback I thought, no?

Thanks
    It doesnít introduce extra latency because of the internal structure but all a to d and d to a takes time. The only question is can you hear it. As I said. If you walk across the room, can you hear that extra delay? I canít. If you go to a gig, how far from the stage do you go until the drummers hands drift from your ears? If you hear latency then something needs fixing.

Thread Information