Like the sound from the PA but not in the box

Kieth , that is awesome.

I dont hear thinning or ambient delay from nowhere.

GEt me there. How much is a sapphire? Which one? Are there transformers in the Saphire?

Win10, Reaper, a SM58, a 6i6, recording using the 6i6 ASIO. My live amp I'm switching between a MP-1 and EL-34, and a VG-99 and EL-34. Trying as many different things as I can, trying to effect the problem in a positive way.

Options, there is requested block sample rate at 96000 and select block size 512. Allow projects to override sample allowed. Pre zero buffers. Media buffer is 12oo ms. Prebuffer is set 100%. Processing on 4 CPUs.

My computer is a Inspiron 13 laptop 2in 1, does it even have 4 cores?

You want screen shots of the settings?

Last edited:
Kieth , that is awesome.

I dont hear thinning or ambient delay from nowhere.

GEt me there. How much is a sapphire? Which one? Are there transformers in the Saphire?

Win10, Reaper, a SM58, a 6i6, recording using the 6i6 ASIO. My live amp I'm switching between a MP-1 and EL-34, and a VG-99 and EL-34. Trying as many different things as I can, trying to effect the problem in a positive way.

in options. There is requested block sample rate at 96000 and select block size 512, allow projects to override sample allowed. Pre zero buffers. Media buffer is 12oo ms. Prebuffer is set 100%. Processing on 4 CPUs.

My computer is a Inspiron 13 laptop 2in 1, does it even have 4 cores?

You want screen shots of the settings?
The Sapphire is the previous generation of Focusrite using FireWire. You don't want to go there :).

I'd settle on just one amp and a simple overdrive or distortion pedal if your amps do not have effective gain/master controls. Leave that VG-99 out/disconnected. Just get a good sound. Once you have that sound, take a picture of all the knobs and make a note in the DAW about your amp, settings, everything. (Assuming Reaper has a notepad to attach notes to projects and tracks.)

Googling that processor it looks to be a 2-core i3. Should be sufficient for audio, but make sure you've done the usual stuff like shutting down all unnecessary applications while recording.

I'm not a Reaper user so I don't know of those buffer settings are the default or correct. If you have a way to reset to defaults, or good guidance for that kind of system, then tinker with those. I leave them alone until I know I've got a problem that is likely buffer-size related.

Set up the project and make your notes in it. Just have one single track assigned to the input where the mic is plugged in. No FX/plugins at all on the track. Track fader set to 0.

Test your mic, cable, interface computer settings by simply recording some speaking. It will probably require the gain to be set fairly high, but confirm you can get a clear recording of you just reading something, without all those artifacts. Once you've done that, dial the gain back and set the mic in front of your amp - I think close micing is the best choice if you do not have a really big or thoroughly treated space. Once you move more than a few inches from the speaker, you'll start picking up room reflections. (If the cabinet is open back, I'd put a lot of pillows and stuff right behind it.) The point is, just record the speaker, and not the room.

Start playing some chord progression and slowly dial up the interface gain until you have something peaking below -6dBFS on the track. Click on the red button and record it. Playback, and adjust mic position or gain if necessary until you have a good track. When you have a good track, take a picture of the mic position, any amp changes you made, etc., and put those in the track notes.

Keep it simple. Once you have the good track, then you can start messing with plugins.

Good luck.

Ok, I am setting it up. MP-1 has no knobs. Digital control of analog path with lexan plate. I take picture when its all clear.

My BF preamp I chose was the 737, yes. I bit the sales pitch hard, but purchased online and it has not arrived yet. They claimed that freq range from 10-38,000 instead of 20-20k. And that it will take the signal directly into the DAW.

However looking at the 6i6 intructions the dynamic range of the interface is only 20-20k. So I am kicking myself for being stupid. I also see no USB in the back to go into the DAW anyways.

Yeah, about those cores, should I back it down 2?

I will not use any real rack chain.

The Sm58 to the input 1 front in the 6i6. The SM58 12" back from the 1960B. The Stratocaster to the MP-1 to the EL-34.

Last edited:
Picture warming up. Cue, Heavenly Oh, and Ahs.. This rig and I go way back.. PCM80 is bypassed.

20191203_181250.jpg

Last edited:
20 Hz to 20 kHz is generally considered to be the range of human hearing. This is frequency range, not dynamic range. Means we can't hear frequencies lower than 20 cycles per second or higher than 20,000 cycles per second.

To the best of my knowledge, the Avalon unit is a channel strip without A/D converters. You still need converters to get in the DAW.

For normal operation you would use an XLR to XLR cable to plug the SM58 into either channel 1 or 2 of the Focusrite. This will cause the Focusrite to automatically configure itself for a mic.

Is that what you're doing?

Yeah, whatever. OK dont close my thread.
20191203_182615.jpg

Zed, that was the Avalon that was supposed to go directly into the DAW. The salesman made an issue of it. I didnt even bother to check it. After reading the first page in the pdf manual...

The Vt-737sp provides the recording professional with a versatile high-quality recording channel, capable of amplifying, controlling, and shaping a signal from its source and delivering the signal directly to the audio recorder or DAW (ditigal audio workstation) input, completely bypassing the mixing console and its sonic limitations.

I figured they had it hooked up USB, I dunno. The guy is quoting me the first page of the manual.

If it dont work out Ill return it I guess.

Last edited:
Zed, that was the Avalon that was supposed to go directly into the DAW.

This is what you actually wrote:

"However looking at the 6i6 intructions the dynamic range of the interface is only 20-20k. So I am kicking myself for being stupid. I also see no USB in the back to go into the DAW anyways."

So it seems a natural mistake to assume your USB comment related to the 6i6

Cool. I will be more accurate.

There are probably half a dozen issues. Someone had called a bad cable. Yes, I found a bad mic cable. That still does not account for the terrible recordings. I had the A and B mic'd. One of them would have sounded fine.20191203_182510.jpg

Waiting for TV show to end in other room.

I think I can fix it, push it back together.

Last edited:
This is the page that makes the sound come through. I can chose the inputs.Annotation 2019-12-03 19292.jpg

ASIO4ALL works best with all the different gear, at least sound comes out.

Does volume matter for this test? Im gonna have it at .5 gain and 5 presence on the EL 'Diablo.

Here I go. TestA Clean MP-1 preset 2.

Attachments

• TestA.mp3
    550.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
There's some kind of static thing happening. Other than that it sounds like a fairly clean guitar. What level is Reaper showing you on input?

Mic like this. Knobs Gain 1, Presence 5.
Test A MP-1 Preset #2 Factory reset 'Clean
Test B MP-1 Preset #1 Factory Reset 'Hard

Oz out of a Strat, my bad..

20191203_202053.jpg20191203_202010.jpg

Last edited:
Back