Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Like the sound from the PA but not in the box

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Don't know about other DAWs but in Samplitude you can set the normalization to any 'boost' degree you want. .
    Normalization, is that something that every analog instrument track should have applied after tracking? I think it sounds better and the peaks are easier to see for nudging.

Then for properly recording vocals, do I mic up the PA at the PA speaker? Electrified PA voice correct? Not recording the breathed air from my mouth. Kind of once removed.

Screen shot of slider positions and level at -6. And sound clip. After normalization.

annotation-2019-12-30-174950-jpg

It was purposefully left Keyboard and Guitar with no bass.

I am not satisfied with my recorded bass lines. Next post will be how to record a bassline.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:47.

Thanks
    I never mic up the PA speaker unless there is no other way to record the vocals, I've done it a couple of times in the past where I had no control over or access to the PA system.

I've recorded an event in the summer over the last 7 years, and I provide the PA mixer, amp and mics. Another fellow provides the speakers. I simply run a line out from a submix to the recorder. One year I had to tie into a QSC Touchmix. It worked, but the reverb was picked up in the signal which wasn't great for the recording.

Normalization shouldn't really affect the sound of the track, it just makes it easier to work with the track, especially if you're doing much cut and paste editing. You're just applying gain prior to doing the mix, so you really don't even affect the noise floor.

It looks like some of the tracks in your post have higher than 0dB on the wave. If you zoom in on the bottom track at the 8.1 min mark, is the peak >0?

Thanks
    Yes, but I don't know why. The normalization process makes it big end to end on the track. Want a picture of the unprocessed/unnormalized?

Yes normalized it is much louder so that is a sound change. Anybody know where the limits or adjustments are for Normalization in reaper?

Also if I increase the volume level of the drums I get an ambient echo sound from them. No clue how to stop that either. Using addctive drummer. I try to turn down all the room, ambi, compressor, etc type of sliders. Im trying to get dry flat drums.

annotation-2019-12-30-191118-jpg

Thanks
    There is an add-in called the SWS extensions. SWS / S&M Extension In that package there are several normalization options, such as normalize to =23lufs. One called Xenakios/SWS loudness to dB level will let you specify the target max level.

I've never used addictive drummer, so I can't comment on that.

Thanks
    When you are normalizing a track to a higher lufs, does your track get louder? Mine does.

If you were using drum software and as it is turned up , they sound echo'd, what would you do? Where would you look?

The option I am considering is to use the drum section of my Fantom Keyboard. Then record it as a wave into Reaper. I might try that.

If I record with the Apollo USB and then later render without it, would that cause the problem? I know the tracks are already recorded, but making adjustments later with ASIO4ALL, when I am at another location without the Apollo. Changing ASIOs might do something.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:00.

Thanks
    Normalizing to a higher LUFS (ie going from -28 to -18) is an increase of 10, so yeah, it would be louder. If you have a track that is at -12LUFS and normalize to -23, then it should be lower.

Again, on the drum software, I can't really comment. Havent used that drum system. I'm guessing there's an echo setting somewhere, possibly gated?

Using the Fantom to generate the drum tracks as waves is perfectly fine. My first recordings with my SR18 were generated that way. I had patterns that I "played" and ran the audio out to my Yamaha AW16G. I never really got the Alesis to work with midi, I didn't have the time or the inclination to explore it back then. I also found that I sucked at programming drums.

It shouldn't matter if you are mixing on a different system, as long as you aren't using any of the internal Apollo plugins. I have a main system downstairs for recording running from my Tascam interface. Upstairs, I have my Dell with email, browser, taxes, etc. It also has Reaper. I added a couple of JBL 305s to the regular Realtek internal audio and it works just fine. I've done mixes on this computer just because it was handy. In this case, I don't even have ASIO installed. The ASIO driver it the go-between for your computer and your audio interface.

Thanks
    When you are recording a bassline is there anything you do special to capture the power?

I want a thick octave like harmonic, from signal notes. Something strong.

Thanks

Thread Information