legal issues

NeoMatriX

sup guys!

I consider myself a freelance producer. I produce for a good amount of people now. Usually they come in with the lyrics and I provide the music. My question is; who is entitled to what when it comes to copyrights?. See I produce their music which is paid for by the client. So I suppose the copyrights automatically goes to the buyer doesn't it?

Does my name still get some kind of credit?
Do I have to fill out a seperate copyright form just for the music?

Please help. I am lost when it comes to the legal side of the business.

Thanx, your help will be appreciated.

After you get a recording of the music, you will need to file a joint copyright with the other writer (s).

There is of course a way that they can pay you for your creation which would give you no copyright. I wouldn't do that! At the same time, it may not be too terribly ethical to charge them for time actually spent "composing" but certainly you could charge them for time spent recording the parts.

You may consider talking to a lawyer about protecting your end of things. It sounds like you need to set up some kind of standard contract you sign with the other songwritiers that details how the relationship is going to work, and how money is split from royalties (if any).

Seek professional help. Not going to cost you that much, and if one of these bands or artists makes it, you will be glad you spent the little bit of money.

Good luck.

Ed

Thanx for the info guys I appreciate it. I have another question. I'm producing a dance compilation. I produced all the trax and wrote a couple of songs as well, my partner also wrote on the album. The artists on the other hand just added vocals. Now once the cd is for sale who would be entitled to what? Do the artists get anything?

sorry for all the newbie questions!

Thanx again,

Another question you could write a book on........but there are already good books on this topic, which I suggest you should delve into.

Some words of wisdom; NEVER, and I mean never, start a project without putting in writing who does what and who will be credited for what. Even if you record with your grandmother on lead vocals, write down what she's entitled to.

Two things.
1). If you agree to do something for someone against a fixed fee (recording, writing, producing etc), you basically agree to forefit any copyrights, publishing rights, rights to royalties etc.
So, If I tell you Hey! I've got this song, I want you to arrange the music, produce it and play on it, and I'll pay you 1000 bucks to do it, then you sell your rights.
2). If you agree to undertake something on a shared basis, first thing you should do is register anything you have written or co-written with an organisation like ASCAP or BMI.

This really is to complex a matter for this forum. You should find out details through the address of the site I gave you, and read some books on this complex topic.

Back