Left and Right Monitor Channels sound different playing the Pink Noise

ranjersmith

Hi

I have a Focusrite 18i6 and some new JBL LSR 305's.

I downloaded the Genelec pink noise from their web page.

'It sounds like' there is a different tonal response form pan to pan / speaker to speaker. One sounds slightly lower and fuller. One sounds higher and lighter. However you want to understand that.

This is replicated by swapping the xlr leads to the 18i6 and the fuller speaker swaps sides, which says to me this is not the speakers.

I then tired this with the headphones and notice that the same anomaly occurs when I pan the pink noise.

I work in Reason 7 and have tried dropping an EQ into the channels on the main mixer to see if I can EQ it out and it doesn't really work, more I get an overall sense of something missing in the lighter and less full speaker. I recognise this as being a subjective point of view.

I replicated this outside of Reason, by playing the clip on the windows media player and turning the speakers up and down either side. This was still playing through the 18i6.

My first question is whether when using the monitor routing (L&R) out of an audio interface should both channels sound the same or is there some room for error between both channels?

I suppose the second is as to whether other people have noticed this with other audio interfaces?

Is it something to do with the human ear, do we need a slightly different sound to be able to position things in the stereo field???

If not then what might be the problem with my set up??

Cheers Ranj

Hi,

Most def. it is something in your driver/software controlling your soundcard. Maybe slightly different volume in left vs right? Small difference in volume can be "heard" as more or less "dull". Do you have the latest driver?

/MelkerMusic

Thanks for the reply, I have to say I have been having more difficulties with the Focusrite Diver and possibly mix control, on a windows 8 setup. Reason keeps telling me that the driver has changed and that there is something going with audiodg!

The latest download is 1.8 on the Focusrite web site which is installed.

Your reply took me to Mix Control which I have not really had cause to use up until this point. I reset everything to factory defaults and started over!

When the DAW outputs on Mix control (DAW 1 & 2) are centred then there is no ability to pan within Reason. So I have now put them hard left and right and this is the point at which I start to hear a 'brighter and duller' side when I am listening. Shifting one of the faders in mix control (DAW 1 & 2) balances this a little when listening to the Pink Noise). When music is playing back this alters the centre of the mix.

I am a little at a loss as to the nature of the issue really, is listening to the pink noise useful??

If I notice that there is a 1db shift on one of the faders in mix control that makes a known track sound more centred ' does this relate to tracks I am recording? Should I keep it on to mix.

I have been listening back to Lyle Lovett (Blues Walk), Lou Reed (Perfect Day) Sinatra and Basie (Pennies From heaven) and bits from Daft Punks new album to see what I can make of it through Windows Media Player and tweaking the levels in Mix Control"! And it does not seem like both faders at 0db is always the best.

Ranj

It seems that from your testing you have worked out that it is most likely not the speakers nor the leads causing this apparent imbalance.

The cause may not lie within the interface or the computer either.

Two other factors to consider are the room acoustics and your ears.

Back