Lav mic gives a very boxy sound when placed at collar

Dhonchak

Hello,
This is my first post here so pardon any mistakes.
Coming to the point, I bought a lav mic (Boya M1) for youtube videos,and it gives a very nice audio when i hold it directly in from of my mouth. But the issue starts when I place it on my collar, it gives a very boxy and muddy sound. I tried playing with the equalizer a bit but being a newbie I just can't match the sound I want. I'm very satisfied with the sound I'm getting when it is directly in front of my mouth. Is there any way to help this?
I've tried editing with premiere pro and audacity.
I've attached a sample of the audio. I'll be really greatful for any help, since I can't really afford much equipment.

Attachments

• sample audio.mp3
    441.8 KB · Views: 13
What [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION] said. You can fix this with a little EQ. Really quick lift somewhere around 5-7k, and a bump at 10k (in Audacity - limited at present)

View attachment EQd-sample.mp3.

That kind of mic is not really "high fidelity" to begin with, but for spoken word should be Ok.

I concur - it sounds exactly like an omni mic with an indirect path to the mouth. when you hold it in front of you, the HF has a clear path and is brighter. Pressure operated mics always do this at ANY price. For the dirt cheap price it's surprisingly good to be frank. A little EQ, as mentioned, and it's totally acceptable.

[MENTION=204068]Dhonchak[/MENTION] - just to follow up - you can hear more noise at the beginning/first clip because your voice (not being directly pointed at the mic) is a tiny bit quieter, hence the signal-to-noise (s/n) ratio is a little worse. You can use Audacity for that problem, as well. Here I got the noise profile from that first 1s or so, and then applied 6dB (maybe a bit much) of noise reduction through the first clip. (A little bit of artifacts because there's a lot of almost pink noise there, so find a better place to record, and maybe not quite so much NR would be needed.)

View attachment EQd-NRd-sample.mp3

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll try to have a longer noise profile to have better noise reduction and try boosting the highs a little bit.

Back