latency and audio delay issues.

clntgn

So, I've been having what I've heard is a common problem: latency. I've tried a lot of stuff, but none of it seems to work.

The software I'm using is tracktion. It came with my usb microphone I just got for christmas.

I'm recording into my computer through a Boss GS-10 guitar effects system.

Here's my issue though: I record one track, no problems. Then I record another one. Everything is off sync, even though I played it perfectly while recording. I know this is a delay between my computer and what I'm hearing, but then there's more issues. I screw around with the recording quality, set it up to 48000hz instead of the default 41000 or whatever. Then I mess with the latency, and I finally get it somewhat close enough that I can record it without it sounding too off. Then I record another track. lets say a bass track and the others were drums (1) and guitar (2nd). The bass track comes out sounding fine the first time I record it, but I make a couple mistakes, so I decide to rerecord it. I delete the tracks, and record it a second time. Now its out of sync, and no matter what I mess with I can't seem to get it in sync.

This as you can imagine is very frustrating as I just want to record a few simple tracks, but can't even do that without numerous stops. I don't know what to do. I've tried auto detecting the lag, but it says I need to set up my audio equipment to loop, and I don't think I can do that.

Howzit, is your pc any good ? maybe it's struggling to keep up with the demand.?

i use 'asio' driver audio thingy.. it's really good with helping with latency...try that !!

Cheers,
Christopher.

I have a dell inspiron 9300 laptop. Its not that great, but its all I really have and I don't have a job or money, so I can't go get a new one.

I downloaded asio. I opened it up in traction, and at first my sound card was shown as active, and the GS-10 was not. But then I closed and reopened the program, and now my sound card is shown as not connected.
I think the pdf file has something about. I'm trying to figure it out. hopefully this'll work. I seem to have bad luck when it comes to audio equipment.

Sorry for the double post but I couldn't remember how to edit my posts.

Thanks for the help everyone. Downloading ASIO seems to have helped a lot.

Just open the ASIO control panel and enable which ever device you need. :) Make sure to close out and reopen your software every time you make a change with ASIO.

More basic: If you're using a USB mic, then you're using your on-board soundcard for output.

The on-board soundcards use 50cents worth of chips.
They are made for beeps, boops and light gaming, not music production.
You will ALWAYS get horrible latency from them; they are not made for it.

ASIO4ALL is a band-aid, not a cure.

#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the built-in soundcard.
Here's a good guide and suggestions: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

I would replace the onboard soundcard if I had the money, but I'm just getting into recording more professionally. Well, not professionally, but so my recordings sound better.

The laptop has a sigmatel or whatever that it came with. I am using a USB mic (Blue Snowball). And so far its been able to come out alright.

There's a somewhat better soundcard in my dad's old computer (I think an audigy) but unfortunately, that computer is much slower and has a lot of problems. I don't believe there's a way to put that soundcard into the laptop at least not that I'm aware of.

So far things are alright enough. I have an uncle who has a studio in his basement, so if I ever do decide to record a whole album or something than I can ask him. At the moment though, I'm just learning slowly how all these things function.

Back