Korg d1600 back in the day

neastguy

so back in the day I used to have a korg d1600 all in one recorder.. I have the itch to start writing and recording... I will be recording at our Bass players house where we practice so I need portability. I'm thinking about looking for a used Korg D3200 or 32xd but the stuff is so old now that it worries me. any other route that is portable and just as easy work with in your opinion? thanks

fyi I bought the tascam dp24sd and returned it.. it was completely confusing to me... the Korg was a breeze for me though

I still have a D1600, but had moved to a Tascam 2488NEO a good number of years ago and as a backup unit I had recently bought the DP24SD which I got at a price I couldn't pass on. You're correct to be concerned about older gear. My D1600 had a failure of the CD-R unit which while it was easy to remove from the D1600, finding a suitable replacement was a challenge back maybe better than 20 years ago. I suspect a hard drive replacements might be difficult to find now as well.
The Tascam is different than the D1600 in functionality and there is a learning curve. The nice thing about the DP24SD is the ability to move tracks to a computer DAW to tweak things.

This guy has done a good job on some tutorials for the DP24SD/32SD which are a big help....
YouTube

Im starting to think about just getting a used d1600 mk2 .. I should be able to transfer files to the pc with usb on that model.. they can be had pretty cheap and if it dies after a couple years I wont be out too much... I watched those tascam videos on youtube and I was still frustrated by the machine.. I guess Im not patient enough..

I use the Zoom R24. Portable, uses SD cards like the DP24, but again, you have to get used to using the small screen and the jog wheel for navigation, but it really isn't complicated once you get the hang of it. Go through the process a couple of times and you're good to go on short order.

I picked up a cheap aluminum case from Harbor Freight, added some foam and presto... traveling recorder in a suitcase.

Pull the SD card out and plug it into your computer, copy the files to the hard drive. Then I toss the SD card into an envelope for archivall use.

I use the Zoom R24. Portable, uses SD cards like the DP24, but again, you have to get used to using the small screen and the jog wheel for navigation, but it really isn't complicated once you get the hang of it. Go through the process a couple of times and you're good to go on short order.

I picked up a cheap aluminum case from Harbor Freight, added some foam and presto... traveling recorder in a suitcase.

Pull the SD card out and plug it into your computer, copy the files to the hard drive. Then I toss the SD card into an envelope for archivall use.

If I'm not mistaken the R24 can also be used as an interface to a computer DAW also(?)

Yes the R24 and the R16 can be used as an audio interface as well as a control surface. I use an R16 for both and it's excellent. I especially love the control surface. For those of us who came up using faders and buttons and knobs on analog equipment......having a control surface with a DAW is so much nicer than having to use a mouse most of the time.

I am hoping someone can shed light on my D1600 issue. I recently dusted off mine (circa 2003) and love it! But, strangely, it developed an oddity which perplexes me: A week ago I was able to COPY a track to a unused track location and all timing/synchronization remained intact. Now, though, with the same song- when I do the same action, the Copied track at the new Track location is not in-synch with the rest of the recording (timing way off). Scratching my head (In- Loc1 and Out Loc2 was previously established for the entire recorded song). Scratching my head.

Back