Korg D16 won't turn on!

BonaireJimbo

Hi gang,
Recently my Korg D16 was acting strange and I was unable to playback anything I had recorded. After searching online for ideas, I finally touched the suggested button to re-initialize the unit. Now it won't turn on! It makes me think the hard drive was fine and that the problem was with the power supply. Does anybody have words of wisdom for me?
Thanks!

Hi gang,
Recently my Korg D16 was acting strange and I was unable to playback anything I had recorded. After searching online for ideas, I finally touched the suggested button to re-initialize the unit. Now it won't turn on! It makes me think the hard drive was fine and that the problem was with the power supply. Does anybody have words of wisdom for me?
Thanks!

Well, you can very easily check the power supply with a cheap digital multimeter. Assuming that is putting out the correct voltage, a lot of CPU controlled kit needs a setup procedure whereby you hold down certain buttons and THEN apply the power.

If that is not in the user manual then you need a service manual or a Korg tech.

Dave.

- Was the 'Standby' light on normally when plugged in and does it still work the same? This would kinda prove the 9vac adapter is working and the fuse is not blown.

- When you 'Initialized' the unit did it display 'Completed' or any other message in the display?

I think I would start looking for another hard drive. Not sure if the D16 can be booted from an external SCSI drive.

'Provisional' Service manual link. Mostly just schematics/wiring diagrams and parts list, no troubleshooting info.
http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Korg/D16_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf

Back