Korg D16 recorder to work with CD Drive Compatibility

Jae

I am trying to get an external CD Burner/Drive to communicate with the Korg D16 recorder. I can't get them to work together. Anybody been down this road?

I am trying to get an external CD Burner/Drive to communicate with the Korg D16 recorder. I can't get them to work together. Anybody been down this road?

According to the D16 manual you need a CD burner that runs from a SCSI port, I have never seen one, only USB. The recorder has a S/PDIF output, that could feed suitable interface and then use a PC's burner.

Dave.

If it is a SCSI burner/drive as Dave suggested, I had used one on a sampler many years ago, but never did try it on my D1600. I remember it wasn't particularly easy to get working for reasons I don't remember, but importantly was setting the ID number of the unit correctly. The ID number the D16 wants to see from the manual is '6'. I'm guessing you want it to work for backing up song data or loading WAV files(?) Otherwise what Dave suggested about dumping audio via S/PDIF (if you can find an interface equipped with it) would be an option. When the burner in my D1600 died I just dumped straight audio to an interface.

Assuming you have a PC with a CD/DVD burner there are options.

1)Run analogue out of the D16 to the input jack of the PC. Not the best solution because the PC might not like a line level signal.
2)Buy a cheap 16 bit interface such as the Behringer UCA202. Much better than most PC soundcards and can handle up to a volt rms.
3)If the PC does not have a burner, do as above and save the tracks as 16 bit 44.1kHz .wav. Buy an external USB burner (N.B. get a USB "Y" cables as well because one USB 2.0 port often cannot supply enough current. USB 3.0 should be fine.

But the best transfer quality will come from the S/PDIF connection, look around for old, S/H interfaces. The M-Audio Fast track pro, Tascam US122/144. These were PROPER interfaces with S/PDIF and MIDI!!Another option if you have a PC with a PCI slot is a souncard such as the M-A 2496 but there were some $25 cards that were quite good. Trust Optical Expert was one, co ax and optical digital iirc.

Dave.

Back