keyboard controller for soft synths & hardware?

BlahZayy1190

- FL Studio 11 will be main sequencer

- Hardware Synths: Moog Slim Phatty..... JP 8080..... Volca FM..... Prophet 08
- Software Synths : Lush 101..... Sylenth..... Ivory Keys II

1) I need to be able to playback both software synths & my hardware modules with the same keyboard controller without a lot of menu diving or workarounds, where I can just select whichever track I'm wanting to play in FL Studio and press a key on the keyboard and have the notes for that soft synth or hardware module recorded into Piano Roll, without having to menu dive on the keyboard controller. I want to play soft synths & hardware with the least amount of clicking and menu diving. For instance, the Yamaha MX49 manual says that it can be used as USB device or hardware controller, but both cannot be used at the same time. You either use physical MIDI or USB connection. That's what I want to avoid.

2) I've been told something like a MOTU Micro Lite 5x5 USB MIDI Interface will work for me. So something like this would be my setup:
- Moog Slim Phatty MIDI In & Out ---> MOTU In1 & Out1 (transmitting only 1 channel)
- JP 8080 MIDI In & Out ------------> MOTU In2 & Out2 (transmitting only 1 channel)
- Prophet 08 MIDI In & Out ---------> MOTU In3 & Out3 (transmitting only 2 channels)
- Virus C MIDI In & Out -------------> MOTU In4 & Out4 (transmitting only 3 channels)
- MOTU In5 & Out 5 left empty for future use

3) I also have a few soft synths that I would like to play/trigger, using the same keyboard controller
-Lush 101 (8-part timbral, but I normally only use 4 channels/patches)
-Sylenth1 (transmitting only 1 channel)
-Ivory Keys (transmitting only 1 channel)

So, by looking above I'll have about 13 different channels (7 hardware patch channels + 6 soft synth patches)

A) Akai MPK249 (has USB MIDI A1-16 and B1-16, along with physical MIDI I/O) -> but I don't know if the USB MIDI & physical MIDI can be used at the same time.

B) Novation 49 SL MK II (has 2 different MIDI ports, along with USB) -> same concerns for this one as the MPK249

Thank you for any & all help you can give! Thank you!

Last edited:
Back