Just purchased Reference 4 and ARS3

frank1985

Hey guys, I'm feeling like a right idiot....

I recently purchased both Sonarworks Reference 4 and Abbey Roads Studio 3 for my headphone mixing, not knowing that in addition to spatial frequency response, the latter also has frequency response adjustment for my DT880 Premium Editions! seeing as my headphones are supported on Abbey Road, should I ask for a refund on Reference, or does it excel over Studio 3 in its ability to level out the frequency response curve? If not, it's pretty pointless me keeping both. I've heard of people using both simultaneously but I don't know if it's because their headphones aren't supported in AR, or whether the levelling is more accurate in Reference.

Last edited:
Reference 4 is meant to "flatten" the frequency response of many popular headphones.....with the idea being that you can make better mixing decisions with a flat sound response.

It appears that the main objective of the Abby Road Studio 3 software is to mimic the sonic environment of that famous Abby Road studio room. They don't appear to be doing the same thing........assuming the Abby Road Studio 3 is not completely flat.....which I'm guessing it isn't.

Back