Just got an Audio-Technica AT2020, but there's terrible hissing in the background

Condawg

Is there any way to fix this? Here's an example - instaud.io/12F

It's the XLR AT2020. I'm using an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB mixer. Could it be the mixer? Is there a way to configure the mixer to help with this? I've recorded audio my whole life, but I still have next to no idea how to properly work a mixer.

Thanks

Is it picking up something? My AT 2035 is so sensitive it will pick up my computer fan and hiss like the cat is after it...

Is it picking up something? My AT 2035 is so sensitive it will pick up my computer fan and hiss like the cat is after it...

I thought that might be the case, but I've got a long-ass XLR cable, so I brought it out to the hallway with me and the hissing was exactly the same.

Alright, so it's definitely not the mic. I just recorded a few seconds with the mic's volume all the way down on the mixer, and I'm still getting a hiss. Why would the mixer be causing that much noise? Is it just a piece of junk, or is there something I can do?

Turn the gain down too- mine is a hot mic- doesn't take too much gain to overload it. You'll probably have to do some reading on proper db levels for your mixer inputs and outputs to narrow down the problem. So try turning the gain down on the gain/fader/monitor/stereo out etc. and read up on mixer use.

The gain is all the way down already. What do you mean by gear make models and connection info, exactly? The microphone is an AT2020, not sure if there's more specificity I can give there. The mixer is an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB, can't find a more specific make or model number on there. Not sure what you mean by ins and outs. Sorry, I've been recording stuff for years, but only started trying to take it more seriously recently.

Put your headphones into the mixer and turn things down until the hiss goes away...

I'll try that now. Thanks

I've been fiddling with the mixer and can't get the hiss to change at all.
Does anyone know of a cheap XLR to USB solution? I don't have a lot of money, found this mic for $50 and decided to get it instead of the USB version since I've got a mixer. If this is gonna give me unrelenting hiss, I'll need to get something else, but I can't spend all that much on it. I don't need a full mixer, this is the only input I'll be using. Preferably something around $20 that doesn't suck.
Unless someone out there knows how to fix this, but I'm starting to think it's not fixable. Nothing I turn down affects the hiss at all.

Well, thank god I kept fiddling, because I found a fix. I feel like such a dumbass. The mixer is fine, the mic is fine, I just had the input volume on my PC up to 100. Brought it down to 50, and it's perfect. I can't even express how happy I am right now, I was getting so worried that I'd have to shell out more cash I hardly have or ship this back and get the AT2020 USB.
Check it - instaud.io/12G

What Jimmy says ^ Unfortunately there are reviews on Amazon that says your usb mixer hisses. Recommend decent audio interface instead like Jimmy said. UR22, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus maybe- read all the reviews.

I'll upgrade when I can afford it for sure, but for now it's working perfectly fine. To my standards, anyway. I feel like an idiot, but I don't even give a shit, I'm just happy.

Great! Audio interfaces do have much better sound and low noise compared to the USB A/D converter as Jimmy said though.... It is great you are able to lower the noise floor! You can also use a noise gate in the DAW software if you hear the noise floor...

I'll upgrade when I can afford it for sure, but for now it's working perfectly fine. To my standards, anyway. I feel like an idiot, but I don't even give a shit, I'm just happy.
Hi Con'. I assume you have Win7 and have found the "USB/mic" level controls? You say you have cranked things down from 100 (%?) to 50? I would suggest you try pulling it down more than that. 5% is worth a do.
Make the gain up with the mixer. Generally running cheap.A USB mixers fairly hard and W7 low give the best overall signal to noise ratio. You also want to be recording with average levels at -15 dBFS on the DAW meters and do not let peaks get higher than -6dBFS. 16bit, cheapo USB converters are NOT known for decent headroom or graceful overload!

But yes, as advised, look to get an audio interface. You want 24bit capability. The Steinberg UR22 has attracted a lot of good comment. The Focusrite 2i2 unfortunately has not but I am very pleased with my 8i6. Even MORE pleased tho' with my NI KA6!

Dave.

Thanks for the tips, ecc83.
The Steinberg UR22 looks great, and is cheaper than expected, but still a bit pricey for my blood, especially after spending nearly $100 on new equipment already this week. It'll have to wait some, but I've bookmarked it for consideration.

How much of a difference is really noticeable to the naked ear between 16bit and 24bit? I'm sure audiophiles (which this forum is full of, for good reason) can easily pick them out, but does it make enough of a difference to justify spending $150 on an upgrade?

"How much of a difference is really noticeable to the naked ear between 16bit and 24bit? I'm sure audiophiles (which this forum is full of, for good reason) can easily pick them out, but does it make enough of a difference to justify spending $150 on an upgrade?"

There is absolutely no detectable difference between a good* 16 bit and a 24 bit system. In fact very few people has equipment powerful enough or rooms quiet enough to take advantage of the dynamic range of 16bits, leave alone 24!

No, the problem is that CHEAP 16bit devices compromise on driver and converter design and also on the noise and headroom performance of the analogue sections. Then, with a good 24 bit setup you can drop your average recording level down to -18dBFS or even a bit lower which means in practice that you will never get close to digital clipping (which in practice is often ANALOGUE clipping!) .

Yes the UR22 IS a nice tool but limited in connectivity. Have a really good think, explore the reviews (especially look up Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media) of various AIs and try to envisage where you might be going in a few year's time. Might be worth saving for a bigger Focusrite or sommat!

*I believe it was once said by our very own Massive Masterer that "If you can't make a good recording on a 16bit system, 24 bits won't make you do it better"!
Dave.

Condawg, listen to the wise ears here - you'll work out who they are - read lots, save your $ and buy decent quality, as recommended by the wise ears. It'll take time, but there's many a person frustrated by the quality of their initial recordings because of crap, low level gear, who gives it all away very quickly. Read, read, read. All the answers are here.

You don't have to spend megabucks, but you do need to at least get a decent 24 bit interface, a decent mic, some decent recording technique, and a decent place to record in and to listen to your recordings in. Get that all sorted and it falls into place pretty easily as you gain experience.

Life is a long song, don't be too hasty...

From recording and constantly upgrading I wish I would've bought the best Mic I could afford some like in the 1,000 range, and a good preamp some in the 500 to 700 range, interface, I noticed my Roland quad capture was actually good enough. Other gear just sucked. Telling you now if you're doing vocals your Mic is the most important signal in your chain trust me I have a 4040 which is beyond the 2020, and the only thing it shines on is instruments. Now if I was using the at4040 to record vocals and a acoustic guitar cool, but when you trying to sit some in a mix the Mic and pre become noticeable because of noise, and trust me you can hear it when you adjust levels. So I'll say keep the interface you have and save for a preamp and Mic that'll make mixing more fun or you'll just be wasting money thinking something will help and it does nothing for you.

Audio technica at2020-xlr / at2020-usb

Hi Condawg;

I notice you're using the microphone, you say for the first time, with an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB mixer.

I presume from the fact you say that you'd tried it with an extra-long XLR cable that this is definitely the AT2020-XLR and not the AT2020-USB microphone. It's rare that the cable would induce hiss as such - more usually, cable faults manifest as hum or buzz and occassionally crackling if there are connection issues.

As you describe that you're getting lots of hiss, even with the gain and faders low, have you checked that the 48-volt phantom power is actually turned on? It's the smaller switch on the rear of the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB mixer. If it is turned on then there's a possibility it may not be delivering the full 48 volts and this would invoke hiss.

If you're using an off-board phantom power supply then check that it is delivering 48 volts. Some use decoupled battery supplies to reduce noise further but, as the batteries fade they don't give full power or voltage.

Kindest regards,

The Necromancer

Last edited:
Back