Just a bit intimidated...

Google is your friend, but closer at hand...stickies are your friends! :D
Knowledge is power!

I've been reading this stuff for a year but not on the total immersion plan. So, will probably remain newbie for another 5 years or so. (I have other responsibilities and other hobbies.)

The point to be noted is that the OP is a newbie trying to decide on a DAW. You delivered to him the sales brochure for a product written as if the OP were an experienced, up-to-date, completely-in-touch industry professional who was choosing his next production tool. It's fine material and very comprehensive. But it completely missed the OP's (and my) inability to translate all those words into usable information.

The second try was better.

Last edited:
Would you care to make an actual contribution to answer the OP's question?
Loosen up, Gomer. We're on page 9. It's been answered. Grow a sense of humor. Maybe life won't be so shit for you.

Here's an idea. Go buy a calculator. :D

Last edited:
There really are no "bad" DAWs (not that I have tried PT) and similarly there are no really bad interfaces (well, apart from the inability to design a high Z input that does not clip on a wimpy Strat!). At least this is true at the noob level.

The problem is (I think) that even seasoned computer people* find the "architecture" and MO of audio recording alien and way out of their comfort zone. The problem is confounded by a bit of a Catch 22 situation? Peeps are asking for "the best AI/DAW" so that don't have either and it is hard to "show" them things until they make the jump. If someone is asking how to do something in say Ms Word there is a good chance they have it and I suspect if they asked and didn't a PC help forum would say "Go forth and multiply!" until they did.

*Example: I needed to make screen grabs of DVD still ( garden wildlife, not ripping anybody!) I dare say this is "PCs 101 " to the trade but defeated me! I guessed there would be free software to do it but I am increasingly wary of downloading stuff. Then I discovered WMP "could" do it by turning off "acceleration" but HTF do I do that! The walk thru from Ms did not go how it said. I played around for quite some time and by a huge fluke came upon a box marked "acceleration" I unticked it. Now, Print Screen get me stills of hedgehogs! But I could NOT tell anyone else HOW I did it.

IMHO running a DAW is a bit like the above, you just have to get it and go for it.

Dave.

Reaper
1) Free to download and try it out. $60 to register to stop annoying pop-ups whenever you kick it on after 30 days.
2) Extensive user manual - 400+ pages. Well worth reading. Skip advanced routing, MIDI and other sections that will confuse you when you're starting out.
3) Good user forum at Reaper.fm for help if you get stuck or when you are looking for better way to do things
4) Lots of youtube 'how to' videos.
5) Comes with a ton of plug-ins to get started and will run any commercially-available VSTs.

Mike B, thanks for the 5 point evaluation. It seems clear that Reaper is the most comprehensive yet inexpensive option out there. I have a feeling Reaper will be my ultimate choice. I'll try demo's of the others, but I know myself enough that I'll want every recording option possible in my price range (cheap!) :D, and Reaper seems to ring all the bells.
Thanks again! John

IMHO running a DAW is a bit like the above, you just have to get it and go for it.

Dave.

Dave, I think you're totally correct. I have a feeling that I won't know how "hot" or "cold" the water is... until I jump in the pool. :)
Thanks for your contributions!
John

Back