Issues recording with a Behringer UCA200 and Xenyx 2442fx

microwave157

Let me start off by saying I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing. I'm not sure if this problem has been addressed elsewhere.

I'm looking to record some music that my band is working on. We are on a pretty tight budget (college students), and we are just starting out. We want to record just a few tracks but I cannot get the sound to play back on the computer in order to continue recording. Basically, we see the sound waves showing up when the voice is recorded, but when we play it back, no sound is heard. The computer is a PC on Vista, and we are not experiencing the same driver compatibility issues that we had on OS X.

Right now, in the CD/tape out of my Behringer Xenyx 2442FX mixer, we have an RCA cable going through to the UCA200 box's input, and the output on the box going into the input CD/tape on the board. Thats about it. I'm not completely sure if the issue is coming from the mixer settings or if its a computer issue.

We have the USB codec selected as the recording device on the computer, on both the system settings and in Audacity, and have the computer speakers selected for playback. Does the playback setting need to be changed, or is it a mixer problem? Do we need more equipment for this to work right?

I greatly appreciate any help that anyone has to provide to our issue.

Thank you.

Try using a Y connector to run your board straight into the PC "Line In" and ignore the UCA 200. It doesn't really do anything but add more connections.
Just my opinion of course.:)

Try using a Y connector to run your board straight into the PC "Line In" and ignore the UCA 200. It doesn't really do anything but add more connections.
Just my opinion of course.:)

I reckon it mught be a bit more complicated than that.

The UCA 200 converts a line level signal to a digital signal. Going straight from the mixer to the soundcard is asking for trouble given that most onboard cards are not that useful for audio recording. Additionally, on-board soundcards do not cope at all well with duplex audio (simultaneous recording and playback).

The UCA 200 converts a line level signal to a digital signal.
I'll have too look into that.
I have one stuck away in a drawer but I do love the mixer.
Planning on using it for my live gear when I can afford a new amp or powered speakers.

Ok, I switched the playback method to the USB codec, so I can get the playback through the mixer instead of the computer speakers using the UCA200. I guess its better to play it back through the mixer anyways.

Back