Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPad vs Macbook and Garage Band vs other DAWs???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 978 Posts
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle sixer View Post
    The Behringer AI is "class compliant", which I understand is good for mac, does that mean it needs drivers to work with windows?
    You can use interfaces which require drivers on mac, as long as there's a mac driver.
    As I understand it any interface used with iOS would need to be class compliant, though.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, thanks guys. Reaper sounds like a good idea, along with maybe a windows notebook, or maybe a mac. I will shop on newegg a little and see how the prospects look.

The Behringer AI is "class compliant", which I understand is good for mac, does that mean it needs drivers to work with windows?
    Class compliant means it works with OS X (Mac) built-in driver support. It means nothing on Windows, except that you probably need to install drivers from the vendor. That's where the driver/vendor support is important. Read reviews.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

4. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is a link to a laptop similar to mine.

Refurbished: HP Elitebook Folio 1040 G1 Core i7-4600U 2.9GHz 8GB 256GB 14.0" Laptop Grade B - Newegg.com

I didn't realize the processor was dual core instead of quad core. However, it didn't miss a beat when I recorded an entire gig with my band last year. 16 channels of input.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cores really matter with video, because quasi-realtime editing requires a lot of background rendering of proxy files and such. And then rendering relies on all that background, multi-threaded work having been done. Not so much with audio, where speed is more important.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, this forum is awesome, thanks so much. I should have been asking these questions here a month ago.... I would be recording tonight!!!

I can't believe the price on that HP laptop!

I was shopping around and might have a good "open box" deal at best buy for a Surface Pro 7. It would be between an ipad and macbook in price and I wouldn't be tethered to a keyboard (and I have a gift card for best buy!!!). I use a SP3 at work a lot and I generally like it.

I am going to check behringer reviews further for vendor/driver support...

Thanks again so much for everyone's advice!

Thanks
    Ipad's are still not there...Chromebooks no way...if you're a mac guy a 2012 on up macbook or imac will rock anything with and i5 or i7.

I don't use it but I have a few buds that absolutely love Logic and really is an incredible value...

I use PC's, Imacs and ipads and for softsynths and stuff the ipad is a fun "toy"...tried using it at a gig "once" and was rocking along wonderfully ..until I wasn't ...not cool

Love the Behringer interfaces uphoria's are cheap and just work really well...I have the xr18 and it's a beast

I'm a reaper dude and know just enough to get the job done at an amateur level that's good enough for the girls I dance with.

I never buy a NEW Apple anything I always wait a few years and let the hipsters eat the extra cash for "new and improved!"

Powerful PC's can be had damn inexpensively..

OK that's my thoughts on the subject....
    Tomco Audio Electric ( TAE )

Creating audible vibrations to stimulate and entertain mankind and other small cave dwelling furry animals.

"The secret to a long life is to live a long time" .... "You can quote me on that" TAE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TAE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    OK, so I know the Surface Pro is not really where I was looking originally, but I like the 2-in-1 for "tablet stuff" like youtube and netflix along with features of a PC for my DAW, being able to type when needed, etc

I think Reaper sounds like a good DAW for me... cheap, beginner friendly, does everything I think it needs to do.

BestBuy has an...

open box, excellent condition SP7 with 4GB, i3, 128GB for $540
    I can live with that price for sure and it will be much more powerful/versatile than a tablet that I would have spent $450 on!

open box, excellent condition SP7 with 8GB, i5, 128GB for $710
    I can live with that price, too if it would enhance my experience, but I have a feeling that I don't need that much power for my goals and would never know the difference.

Am I on the right track here? Might make the purchase this weekend as soon I stop "paralysis from analysis" on this decision....

Also, what about ASIO4ALL and WASAPI???? I am seeing these things regarding SP7 and audio???
    Are they for audio without an AI and/or DAW???

Thanks again so much!

Thanks
    BestBuy has an...

I can live with that price for sure and it will be much more powerful/versatile than a tablet that I would have spent $450 on!

I can live with that price, too if it would enhance my experience, but I have a feeling that I don't need that much power for my goals and would never know the difference.
    Then again, the HP laptop Chili linked to has better specs than either of the SP7s for way less money.
    But I do have $125 BestBuy gift card burning a hole in my pocket...

Thanks
    OK, so I know the Surface Pro is not really where I was looking originally, but I like the 2-in-1 for "tablet stuff" like youtube and netflix along with features of a PC for my DAW, being able to type when needed, etc

I think Reaper sounds like a good DAW for me... cheap, beginner friendly, does everything I think it needs to do.

BestBuy has an...

Am I on the right track here? Might make the purchase this weekend as soon I stop "paralysis from analysis" on this decision....

Also, what about ASIO4ALL and WASAPI???? I am seeing these things regarding SP7 and audio???
    Are they for audio without an AI and/or DAW???

Thanks again so much!
    I would not own Windows *anything* with 4GB if it was anything other than a web browser and occasional document editor. Creative stuff just generally wants more memory, or certainly benefits from it. Same with i5 vs i3. The minor downside of those upgrades is that they will consume battery a bit faster, and generate slightly more heat, which can cause some throttling if unmitigated. (I am admittedly working from 5-year-old knowledge as that's when I retired from that life.) However, I'd buy the faster one with more memory. You cannot upgrade these kinds of things anymore. (I think my 2010 MBP was the last one they made with upgradeable memory - was happy my 2017 iMac had open memory slots because Apple's memory prices are INSANE...)

Those last things are a (1) driver and (2) audio programming interface, (1) used by some devices which don't have a proprietary one of their own and (2) Windows apps that have to interact with the audio stack in Windows. It was cleverly redesigned in Win7 to try and be more competitive with Apple, or probably a "leapfrog" attempt, and from my distant POV now, everyone is still wrestling with it. There's probably better, more correct info around, but it may not help

Thanks
    Hi. I would also steer away from using a pc/tablet with 4 Gb RAM. That is barely enough to run Windows.
    The pc linked above is way more suited to working with a DAW.
    All the best.

Thread Information