iPad vs Macbook and Garage Band vs other DAWs???

uncle sixer

I am new to the forum and would like some advice about simple digital recording gear on a budget. I want a basic home recording setup for recreational purposes, not a full professional studio. I’d like to be able to do the kind of stuff I used to with my Tascam 424 and basic sequencer (experiment, record songs, have fun), but with modern conveniences.

I want to be able to:
Record backup tracks to practice with (like with my guitar looper, but more permanent, more intricate, level control, etc)
Have easy access to simple, decent drum loops for when live drums are not available
Record, mix and (hopefully occasionally) master multi-track songs
Have 16+ tracks available
Record 1-4 tracks simultaneously (mostly 1 track at a time, but other scenarios could include close mics on 2-4 amps, stereo mics on an acoustic, or maybe 3-4 mics on a live drum set)
Use midi for string, horn, organ sounds, etc
Use compression, EQ, and reverb on individual tracks and hopefully groups of tracks and full mixes
I think I want plugins (but have to learn more about this), time and pitch correction would be nice

What I have:
Electric and acoustic guitars, bass, amplifiers, effects
Keyboard with round midi connection
2 SM57s, 2 inexpensive condenser mics (Audio Technica)
Stands, cables, etc
Speakers, headphones
Access to drum set occasionally

I am looking at the Behringer UMC 404HD as an AI because it has 4 inputs, good reviews, and fits the budget.

I need hardware for a DAW. A tablet seems ideal compared to a computer because it would just be for the DAW, email, youtube, spotify, Netflix. An ipad with Bluetooth mouse seems like what I want, but now I see that the garage band that works with tablets is like a light version. Apparently better drums, but lacking in other areas. What am I really giving up if I use an ipad instead of spending money on a macbook?

And, along with that, do I really need to look at logic or ableton instead of garage band? How does that effect my tablet vs computer question?

I am bummed because I thought the ipad/GB would be perfect (simple and cheap... minimalist, in a way), but before I buy it, I am also worried about people saying the ipad won’t be powerful enough and garage band is just a toy that I will outgrow. I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on a mistake and I do not want to get lost in the rabbit hole of upgrade-after-upgrade.

If you read all that, thank you very much. I appreciate any advice/experience/etc to help me with my decisions.

GB is convenient and easy to start out with but I see it more as a toy rather than a capable DAW program. I think you would outgrow it quickly.

I personally would not consider recording with a tablet, but I guess it is doable. You seem like you are an Apple guy, which is fine, but you certainly don't need a Mac to record music. You mentioned Behringer because of budget, so I am assuming financial limitations might apply to a computer as well. There tons of more affordable computers on the market, particularly, the refurbished market. I have an HP i7 laptop which I bought for $300. It is more than capable for everything I need.

For a DAW, you can look Cubase, Pro Tools, Reaper, Logic, etc. You don't need the full-blown versions of any of those. They all have lighter versions that are reasonably priced. Don't know if there are tablet versions or not.

For drum software, you can't beat EZDrummer. It just works right and sounds great.

Sounds like you got most everything else covered. Ask more questions.

Welcome to the site.

I use a Mac and Logic, but if budget is a consideration, I have to say that you could get a pretty well spec'd Windows notebook and pay for Reaper for the price of a decent iPad.

Any regular, full-feature DAW will be more complex than GarageBand, and, of course, GB will do what you want - I even recorded on my iPhone over 5 years ago with an iRig and it turned out better than I expected. [So] I'm sure it's really good these days. I just like the bigger screen of a computer, and being an old fart, very much a keyboard/mouse user. Also, while I started with GB, once I moved to Logic, I cannot use GB except to prove that many things *can* be done there, but I find it simply does not expose functions I have found necessary, besides making some decisions for me that I have to figure out how to undo. (Its loops and "Drummer" are really good, though.)

You seem like you are an Apple guy, which is fine, but you certainly don't need a Mac to record music. You mentioned Behringer because of budget, so I am assuming financial limitations might apply to a computer as well. There tons of more affordable computers on the market, particularly, the refurbished market. I have an HP i7 laptop which I bought for $300. It is more than capable for everything I need.

Well, I use windows-based pcs at work and I honestly don't mind them. But at home we don't have a family "tech guy" to take care of everything so well and I have had good luck with apples (long life, no viruses, etc). My wife is a fan of apple, but she has a new macbook that does double duty for work and personal (but that is "hers").

Actually, your post reminds me that I was thinking about a chromebook as a possibility. I have heard they are inexpensive, reliable, good performers. But a quick search shows web-based DAWs only; not sure I like that.

I don't have my heart set on a tablet, but I dislike being anchored to a qwerty keyboard when it is not needed.

I worry about buying used/refurbished, etc because I feel like I am not knowledgeable enough to make a wise choice there... I would be nervous that buying a $300 computer would leave me open to malware, viruses, etc... is that silly of me?

Also, if it matters, I am primarily a guitar player who enjoys arranging and dabbling in engineering/production.

well spec'd Windows notebook and pay for Reaper for the price of a decent iPad.

Is reaper : windows
as logic : mac
???

What kind of specs do I need on a windows machine? I assume multi-track recording uses far less system resources than things like gaming and video editing.

What is good for windows PCs these days to keep them secure from hackers? Something idiot-proof for me?

Oh yeah, I can relate to the tech guy situation. I am that tech guy in my day job, and windows/pc's can frustrate me at times. Try telling a doctor or a research PhD how to tell the difference between a firewire connector and a USB connector.... over the phone. :(

There are some laptops that can do double duty as a tablet. My neighbor recently bought one and it's pretty cool. You got options.

As for this...
I worry about buying used/refurbished, etc because I feel like I am not knowledgeable enough to make a wise choice there... I would be nervous that buying a $300 computer would leave me open to malware, viruses, etc... is that silly of me?

If you buy from a reputable merchant, you won't have any problems. I have always bought mine from NewEgg, never had a problem.

Looks like Keith gave a good summary for Apple products. Cool.

And I tell ya, once you get past the technical hurdles and can finally put down some tracks, the creative side is enjoyable. Light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck and enjoy.

You've got a pretty good breakdown there ^. Lots of good advice.
I'd avoid the Chromebook route - Web apps is the whole point of chromebook...that's how it works.

Reaper is cross platform. It's actually *very* cross platform. They even have an arm build that'll run (well!) on a Raspberry Pi.

I hear you on the concerns about security, malware, being in the know about all the tech/setup stuff.
There is definitely an appeal, that way, with Apple.

iPads are surprisingly powerful and there's no shortage of people doing audio work, or even video work, on them.
Personally I'd push towards a macbook of some kind instead, though. There's just more room to expand, a wider range of software, etc.
If you do go that way take a look at the new M1 models if you're not familiar already. They're ridiculous.

Wow, thanks guys. Reaper sounds like a good idea, along with maybe a windows notebook, or maybe a mac. I will shop on newegg a little and see how the prospects look.

The Behringer AI is "class compliant", which I understand is good for mac, does that mean it needs drivers to work with windows?

The Behringer AI is "class compliant", which I understand is good for mac, does that mean it needs drivers to work with windows?

You can use interfaces which require drivers on mac, as long as there's a mac driver.
As I understand it any interface used with iOS would need to be class compliant, though.

Wow, thanks guys. Reaper sounds like a good idea, along with maybe a windows notebook, or maybe a mac. I will shop on newegg a little and see how the prospects look.

Class compliant means it works with OS X (Mac) built-in driver support. It means nothing on Windows, except that you probably need to install drivers from the vendor. That's where the driver/vendor support is important. Read reviews.

Cores really matter with video, because quasi-realtime editing requires a lot of background rendering of proxy files and such. And then rendering relies on all that background, multi-threaded work having been done. Not so much with audio, where speed is more important.

Wow, this forum is awesome, thanks so much. I should have been asking these questions here a month ago.... I would be recording tonight!!!

I can't believe the price on that HP laptop!

I was shopping around and might have a good "open box" deal at best buy for a Surface Pro 7. It would be between an ipad and macbook in price and I wouldn't be tethered to a keyboard (and I have a gift card for best buy!!!). I use a SP3 at work a lot and I generally like it.

I am going to check behringer reviews further for vendor/driver support...

Thanks again so much for everyone's advice!

Ipad's are still not there...Chromebooks no way...if you're a mac guy a 2012 on up macbook or imac will rock anything with and i5 or i7.

I don't use it but I have a few buds that absolutely love Logic and really is an incredible value...

I use PC's, Imacs and ipads and for softsynths and stuff the ipad is a fun "toy"...tried using it at a gig "once" and was rocking along wonderfully ..until I wasn't ...not cool

Love the Behringer interfaces uphoria's are cheap and just work really well...I have the xr18 and it's a beast

I'm a reaper dude and know just enough to get the job done at an amateur level that's good enough for the girls I dance with.

I never buy a NEW Apple anything I always wait a few years and let the hipsters eat the extra cash for "new and improved!"

Powerful PC's can be had damn inexpensively..

OK that's my thoughts on the subject....

OK, so I know the Surface Pro is not really where I was looking originally, but I like the 2-in-1 for "tablet stuff" like youtube and netflix along with features of a PC for my DAW, being able to type when needed, etc

I think Reaper sounds like a good DAW for me... cheap, beginner friendly, does everything I think it needs to do.

BestBuy has an...

open box, excellent condition SP7 with 4GB, i3, 128GB for $540
I can live with that price for sure and it will be much more powerful/versatile than a tablet that I would have spent $450 on!

open box, excellent condition SP7 with 8GB, i5, 128GB for $710
I can live with that price, too if it would enhance my experience, but I have a feeling that I don't need that much power for my goals and would never know the difference.

Am I on the right track here? Might make the purchase this weekend as soon I stop "paralysis from analysis" on this decision....

Also, what about ASIO4ALL and WASAPI???? I am seeing these things regarding SP7 and audio???
Are they for audio without an AI and/or DAW???

Thanks again so much!

BestBuy has an...

I can live with that price for sure and it will be much more powerful/versatile than a tablet that I would have spent $450 on!

I can live with that price, too if it would enhance my experience, but I have a feeling that I don't need that much power for my goals and would never know the difference.
Then again, the HP laptop Chili linked to has better specs than either of the SP7s for way less money.
But I do have $125 BestBuy gift card burning a hole in my pocket...

OK, so I know the Surface Pro is not really where I was looking originally, but I like the 2-in-1 for "tablet stuff" like youtube and netflix along with features of a PC for my DAW, being able to type when needed, etc

I think Reaper sounds like a good DAW for me... cheap, beginner friendly, does everything I think it needs to do.

BestBuy has an...

Am I on the right track here? Might make the purchase this weekend as soon I stop "paralysis from analysis" on this decision....

Also, what about ASIO4ALL and WASAPI???? I am seeing these things regarding SP7 and audio???
Are they for audio without an AI and/or DAW???

Thanks again so much!
I would not own Windows *anything* with 4GB if it was anything other than a web browser and occasional document editor. Creative stuff just generally wants more memory, or certainly benefits from it. Same with i5 vs i3. The minor downside of those upgrades is that they will consume battery a bit faster, and generate slightly more heat, which can cause some throttling if unmitigated. (I am admittedly working from 5-year-old knowledge as that's when I retired from that life.) However, I'd buy the faster one with more memory. You cannot upgrade these kinds of things anymore. (I think my 2010 MBP was the last one they made with upgradeable memory - was happy my 2017 iMac had open memory slots because Apple's memory prices are INSANE...)

Those last things are a (1) driver and (2) audio programming interface, (1) used by some devices which don't have a proprietary one of their own and (2) Windows apps that have to interact with the audio stack in Windows. It was cleverly redesigned in Win7 to try and be more competitive with Apple, or probably a "leapfrog" attempt, and from my distant POV now, everyone is still wrestling with it. There's probably better, more correct info around, but it may not help :)

Hi. I would also steer away from using a pc/tablet with 4 Gb RAM. That is barely enough to run Windows.
The pc linked above is way more suited to working with a DAW.
All the best.

Back