iPad or Tascam DP-008EX 8-Track Digital Multitrack Recorder to home rec?

Shad0wman

I'm looking to make first purchase to start some home recording. Would an iPad with a DAW be the same as a physical recorder like the Tascam DP-008EX 8-Track Digital Multitrack Recorder? thanks

Glad we could help promptly!! :)

I'm not at all familiar with an iPad or anything with an "i", but you need to get audio into it somehow, which would entail an interface of sorts, likely USB(?) Maybe someone will comment on a using a device like this cause I don't have a clue.

The DP-008EX is pretty much ready to go right of the box. If I'm not mistaken it may have built-in mics for the times you need to record something that doesn't have to be super great. It has phantom power for condenser mics and built in effects. In the end whatever you record will likely end up on a computer and if needed could be edited in DAW software.

Is a USB audio interface into a computer with DAW software not on the shopping list? This would be a step ahead of the the DP-008EX and the iPad.

Me, I go both ways :). I have a Tascam 2488NEO and also an interface for the computer. Depends what I'm doing as to which I use.

I had a DP-008 for a while, it was handy. But now I have an iPad mini2 with a Yamaha AG03 which is a lot more versatile. Plus you can have other synths with Inter App Audio, so you can pretty much do everything ITB, although I'd still move the songs over to my desktop mac for mix down.

Hi,

For me, the iPad was my way in to home recording. I found getting going on a PC really complicated (I'm not particularly technical). I thought of a hardware recorder like you are, and my friend in the band swears by his, but the iPad allows for much more depth in what you can achieve.

You can start with the ultra-easy Garage Band for almost no money, then graduate to Auria which is a full functioning bit of recording software. Tracking is easy with Auria but, as you build experience and confidence, you can take recordings up a level with advanced features and plugins.

The plugins are much more intuitive to use for things like EQ and compression.

I use an iTrack Solo from Focusrite but this only records two tracks at once. You can use lots of different interfaces. I also have a gadget that takes across midi for things like my electronic drums and keys.

I LOVE using the iPad to record. It seems to easily and quickly make nice sounding recordings, but if you get good quality audio into any decent recorder, you should be able to get good results.

Hope this helps.

Great! Thanks for responses, although a little late info as I already bought the Tascam dp008 porta studio. The tascam was like $100 so I jsut got that as my pc isnt fast enough and yada yada yada. Seemed like the quick and easy choice to go straight into some amateur home recording.
One more question. I have a sony Condenser mic 1/8 inch jack that uses a battery, would I use phantom power with that or not, thanks.

One more question. I have a sony Condenser mic 1/8 inch jack that uses a battery, would I use phantom power with that or not, thanks.
No, do not try to use that mic with phantom power as it would pretty much put the mic quickly into a non-working condition (poof!!). You possibly could try an 1/8" to 1/4" TS mono phone plug adapter and plug that into one of the 1/4" jacks on the DP-008. Not sure if those inputs would have enough gain for that mic, but something safe to try.
Is the Sony mic one that has a lump in the cable for a coin cell battery holder?

Is the Sony mic one that has a lump in the cable for a coin cell battery holder?

No its small mic that unscrews at bottom of mic and a double A battery goes inside. I bought it with mini disc to do bootlegs. paid $200 for mic like 10 years ago, it makes great bootlegs so I'm hoping it will do decent job.

Back